Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CBCS

tag
Freefall
Regular Contributor

CBCS

Im splitting this off my other thread so that I can get some input and it doesn't get lost back in the other thread.

Background; I sent CBCS a PFD letter, they misread it and took it as a DV letter and sent me a photocopy of the original last bill on the OC's account. I sent them a second, differently worded, PFD letter and they replied with the following (which I don't understand);

Client Name: COLUMBIA GAS - OHIO

Client Account #: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Our Account#: xxxxxxxxxxxx

Account Balance: $36.43

We received your dispute regarding the information we furnished about the above referenced account to the consumer reporting agencies, pursuant to 15 U.S.C. § 1681 s-2 of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). Please be advised we have reviewed your dispute and find the dispute does not have enough specific information or facts which would allow us to conduct an investigation. Because your dispute does not have enough specific information to form the basis for an investigation, we are unable to investigate the dispute pursuant to 15 U.S.C. § 1681 s-2(a)(8)(F)(i) of the FCRA.

A dispute made directly to the data furnisher under the FCRA and FTC regulations must include:

(1)  sufficient information to identify the account or other relationship that is in dispute, such as the account number and the name, address, and telephone number of the consumer, if applicable;

(2)  specific information that the consumer is disputing and an explanation of the basis for the dispute; and

(3)  all supporting documentation or other information to substantiate the basis of the dispute. This documentation may include a copy of the relevant portion of the consumer report that contains the allegedly inaccurate information, a police report, a fraud or identity theft affidavit, a court order, or account statements, but could include other items depending on the nature of the dispute.

However, we acknowledge your dispute and have requested that the consumer reporting agencies report the account as disputed. Consumer reporting agencies may take up to thirty (30) days or longer to update credit reports.

Our address for consumer disputes that relate to the information we have furnished to the consumer reporting agencies about your account is:

PO BOX 164089

DEPT. 03

COLUMBUS OH 43216-4089

CBCS

Toll Free: 1-888-413-0093

This communication is from a debt collector and is an attempt to collect a debt.
Any information obtained will be used for that purpose.

Where do I go from here? Tell them I was tryng to PFD and not DV and ask for another PFD?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: CBCS

I would contact the gas company, to see if they still own the debt.

If they do, ask if they will accept payment and call back the debt from the CA.

I would get it in writing before paying.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

PFD letters are private communications between the consumer and the credtior/debt collector, and have no requirement to even respond.

So all you should really do is to send it again, making it very clear, in the opening paragraph, that your letter is not a dispute under any provision of the FCRA  Letters are usually handled in initial processing by clerks who dont understand the process, and you are probably just the innocent victem of clerical stupidity.

BTW, the terminology "DV" is usually used to refer to a debt validation letter sent to a debt collector, so it clearly was not a DV letter as tht term is conventionally used.  You should refrain from using that terminology when corresponding with an OC.

Message 3 of 5
Freefall
Regular Contributor

Thanks! I'll give that a shot!

Message 4 of 5
psydian
Established Member

Any luck with this?  I also have a collection with CBCS.  I sent a PFD and they DV'ed.  

Just wondering if you had any luck after resending.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.