Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC uti question, 9% apply if payoff every month

tag
wowchad
New Contributor

CC uti question, 9% apply if payoff every month

Does the 9% rule apply if I'm paying my credit card (s) in full every month?

I have three cards that I usually pay in full every month, but is that "paid in full" reflected in the report?

My score watch just shows the current balance and doesn't really say they get paid in full.

So to build my credit is the utilization from these cards good or should I pay them off and shelf the cards until my report shows a continued low (9% or better) balance?  Chad

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
jackg
Established Contributor

Re: CC uti question, 9% apply if payoff every month

In order to have your credit report state a zero balance due you have to PIF before the CCC reports to the CRA's. and don't charge anymore until after the closing date for that acct.

It sounds like your current process is you receive the statement , write a check for the balance due & mail it off. Correct?

To optimize your FICO score in the segment called "Amounts Owed" (30% of your overall score) you should have no more than 50% of all tradelines reporting a balance due, it includes revolving, installment, & mortgage accts. Also do not let all tradelines show a zero balance, FICO does'nt like that. I use the 2-3% utilization rule as best for FICO scoring.

Good Luck

FICO scores on November 17, 2014 (prior to applying for and being approved my mortgage)

EX=738
EQ=735
TU=754

FICO scores on March 4, 2015 after being approved for mortgage and buying the home, the mortgage isn't yet reporting.
EX- 689 EQ- 739 TU- 739
Message 2 of 4
wowchad
New Contributor

That's going to be a hard practice to get into but I'm glad I asked!

Because that means right now it looks like I owe over $1000 nearly every month. I thought it showed up as great utilization. 

Message 3 of 4
marty56
Super Contributor

One thing I did back in DMP days was Itried to save 1 month DMP yament in case something went bad.  if you can do that, you should be able to control how much gets reported each month (if any).

National City wont let me pay until the transaction actually posts and if you make an online payment, you must wait 4 days to make another one, so keep that in mind if you pay the balance down but not PIF.  Check with your CCC on online payment rules.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.