Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CFPB Complaint filed Navient

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CFPB Complaint filed Navient

I have 3 60 day late payments and 2 90 day late payments that Navient tacked into my credit file that were erroniously reported. I filed a complaint with the CFPB 2 days ago and got a call back from Navient today. I submitted the letter documentation from their own website showing my account being in forbearance during the periods in question and also statements from them showing my balance owed was 0 during the periods they reported as being late. I had already gone through the channels of filing disputes twice with Navient and they did absolutely nothing for me. I was just wondering if I should just sit tight with the CFPB Complaint and see where that takes me, or if I should also file a BBB complaint? What do you guys think?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: CFPB Complaint filed Navient

You can certainly choose to file a complaint with the BBB, if nothing else but to alert other consumers to their poor business practices.

However, the CFPB has express staturory authority over complaints for violation of the FCRA and FDCPA, whereas the BBB cannot take their own actio

If compliance is your goal, then CFPB, and if necessary, your own civil action, are the primary paths.

Message 2 of 10
J91605
Frequent Contributor

Nothing wrong with letting them have it with both barrels. Killing one bird with two stone so to speak!😈

Starting Score: 6/30/15 EQ 554 TU 534 EX 608
Current Score: EQ 630 TU 635 EX 653
Goal Score: 680 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge!
Message 3 of 10
Lvlover26
Valued Member

What is the CFPB? I am in the same bucket as well. I have pulled all bank statements and also I am filing for past money gram receipts to be mailed to me because Santander is reporting late payments and they were not late past 30 days. I have attempted to dispute with them and they have told me there is nothing they can do because what they are reporting is correct. Which it is not. May have to do this myself.

EQ: 494 (6/30/15) TU: 500 (6/30/15) EX:528 (6/27/15)
EQ: 535 (9/1/15) TU: 552 (9/1/15) EX: 546 (9/1/15)
Message 4 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The Consumer Finance Protection Bureau is, among many other regulatory functions,  the federal agency that is authorized to receive formal complaints of violations of the either the FCRA or FDCPA.

If you have disputed and the facts clearly, in your opinion, support a violation of some provision of either statute, you can file a complaint with the CFPB, who iell contact the party with whom you have the complaint.

However, if the facts are contested, then the CFPB will most likely not have jurisdiction, with resolution then being via the courts.

Message 5 of 10
Lvlover26
Valued Member

Alright, thank you for that information. I appreciate it!!! I am learning so much on here Smiley Happy

EQ: 494 (6/30/15) TU: 500 (6/30/15) EX:528 (6/27/15)
EQ: 535 (9/1/15) TU: 552 (9/1/15) EX: 546 (9/1/15)
Message 6 of 10
toi34
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have 3 60 day late payments and 2 90 day late payments that Navient tacked into my credit file that were erroniously reported. I filed a complaint with the CFPB 2 days ago and got a call back from Navient today. I submitted the letter documentation from their own website showing my account being in forbearance during the periods in question and also statements from them showing my balance owed was 0 during the periods they reported as being late. I had already gone through the channels of filing disputes twice with Navient and they did absolutely nothing for me. I was just wondering if I should just sit tight with the CFPB Complaint and see where that takes me, or if I should also file a BBB complaint? What do you guys think?

What did they say...are they willing to cut a deal with you?

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I tried to file a compaint with CFPB against Navient, the CFPB website directed me to the Ombudsman office.

Ultimately my complaint was resolved by Navient's borrower advocate. I figured if I hav to file a complaint with the Ombudsman office, I wanted to show that I had already exhausted all other avenues of resolution available.

It took several phone calls and letters to fix my student loans,, Best of luck! 

The BBB can also be very effective, not long ago I filed a BBB complaint against Geico, two days later I got an apology phone call from Geico's HQ and my money refunded the next day Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you file for forbearance before any lates happened? If someone is currently late, and then files for forbearance, they will backdated the forbearance for the past due amounts. This makes the paper trail appear that you shouldn't have lates when in fact you shouldo because they were there before any paperwork was filed.

Example: you become 90 days late on July 15th and they report it. On July 20th you realize this and call and are granted forbearance. They include the 3 months due in your request to bring you current but it does not mean one shouldn't have the late mark.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Did you file for forbearance before any lates happened? If someone is currently late, and then files for forbearance, they will backdated the forbearance for the past due amounts. This makes the paper trail appear that you shouldn't have lates when in fact you shouldo because they were there before any paperwork was filed.

Example: you become 90 days late on July 15th and they report it. On July 20th you realize this and call and are granted forbearance. They include the 3 months due in your request to bring you current but it does not mean one shouldn't have the late mark.

They did backdate the forbearance, although the periods that they are saying that I am late are after I had called. Plus they gave me statements in November and December showing the outstanding balance at the time was 0 dollars owed, but they reported me 60 and 90 days late during those periods. My wife made a $300 dollar payment in January because they said I was past due just to fix the whole thing, but it was irking me because the information they were sending me didn't even match what they were saying on the phone.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.