Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHEXSYSTEMS

tag
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

CHEXSYSTEMS

Hello, I've been lurking here for some months, just reading and enjoying everyones success stories and today I finally decided to join because I have some questions of my own and everyone seems so knowledgable! Also, Merry Christmas!

I recently brought a new car and the bank that I have the loan with let me know I'm in chexsystems with another bank (BankAtlantic) which is now closed. How would I go about settling anything I had with them so I can come out of chexsystems if this bank is now closed? How would I take care of it? Should I pay it when and IF I make contact? I'd like to get it out of chexsystems PERIOD because I'm sure this can cause issues in the future when opening another account or possibly using checks. Any help or insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you everyone.

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: CHEXSYSTEMS

How long has it been in ChexSystems?

If you can find a way to pay the OC, they can have it removed.  Sometimes they will charge an additional fee to do it.

Message 2 of 8
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

It has been in Chexsystems since 2009, I tried to find contact information for the bank but I can't find any to even try to pay it off to get it out of chexsystems. The bank was taken over by TD bank but I never had an account with TD would they still have info on my BankAtlantic account?

Message 3 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

The new bank may, so I would at least ask.

Chexsystems accounts are only reported for 5 years if that is any help.

Message 4 of 8
jre
Regular Contributor

BankAtlantic was absorbed by BB&T. I don't know where you got your info from that TD bank acquired their assets. Please understand that just because the bank has closed does NOT mean you no longer owe the debt. BB&T acquired BankAtlantic's assets, which includes this debt.

I had a similar issue and found it extremely difficult to work with BB&T. I could not find any phone number to a live customer service agent and the representatives at the branch were less than helpful. I would recommend writing a letter to the address provided for on the ChexSystems entry and send it certified. I would work to reach a settlement for a PAID-IN-FULL status. Good Luck and be patient.

Quicksilver x2 | Barclays | Store Cards (more than I need)

Scores: 650s
Message 5 of 8
sjt
Senior Contributor

You might want to try disputing first and see what happens.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 6 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@sjt wrote:

You might want to try disputing first and see what happens.

Disputng what?

Message 7 of 8
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@jre wrote:

BankAtlantic was absorbed by BB&T. I don't know where you got your info from that TD bank acquired their assets. Please understand that just because the bank has closed does NOT mean you no longer owe the debt. BB&T acquired BankAtlantic's assets, which includes this debt.

I had a similar issue and found it extremely difficult to work with BB&T. I could not find any phone number to a live customer service agent and the representatives at the branch were less than helpful. I would recommend writing a letter to the address provided for on the ChexSystems entry and send it certified. I would work to reach a settlement for a PAID-IN-FULL status. Good Luck and be patient.

I actually meant BB&T bank, I just laughed rereading what I wrote. Thank you for this information. And I'll be writng a letter to the address, I appreciate the help! Thank you!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.