Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHILD SUPPORT ON CREDIT REPORT

tag
RUSTY101
Regular Contributor

CHILD SUPPORT ON CREDIT REPORT

I have a major problem. In the past I had child support past due. Long story short, I paid it in full. I understand it will be on my credit report for 7 years.  The problem is, I just ran my free credit report from annual cr. It has this Account closed, but under date reported 7-2-2013 it says i owe $34. Says last payment made 6-2013. The last payment paid to this account was jan 2013 pdf. I do have a letter stating this. I have had child support coming out of my check at work since this time. I never received a bill, a letter saying i owe, nothing. I dont know what to do. If my company hasnt paid enough like they are suppose to, why would I be liable. HELP PLEASE. This has dropped my score by 30 pts

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: CHILD SUPPORT ON CREDIT REPORT

You would need to contact the Support Enforcement Office it is out of to find out what is going on.

Message 2 of 21
bahbahd
Established Contributor

What state are you in?  Poster above is correct, your state should have a support enforcement office and/or a way to contact someone at the child support division - ask if they have a credit reporting division.  I would simply write a nice letter to the above and state that an outstanding balance appears on your credit reports and you'd like to know if it is correct, what it is for and how/where you should direct any payment due.

Your remaining balance could simply be past interest, court costs, administration fees, bill for genetic testing, etc.  None of the above would be paid for through your employer withholding as that is a court order for _only_ the monthly amount due. Sometimes half the monthly due per pay period depending on the frequency

Depending on your state, once you get completely caught up for an good length of time, you can again write to the above office asking if they will remove the CS account from your credit reports.  I'm in Texas and was hit with a huge sum at once that became a judgment around 6 months afterwards simply because I could not pay off the total amount quickly enough. Not to worry. The account has been either remove completely or had all late payment remarks removed after I was finally caught up for a while.

Message 3 of 21
RUSTY101
Regular Contributor

Thank You. The state is Arkansas. I have called the office of enforcement. She said she really could not tell what was going on, but to send the $34 to the clearing house and it would be brought to zero. She thinks it is because of an extra week in May and my company did not send in enough money. So I am going to send the money like she said and after it clears off the report, see if it changes anything. I know paying wont change it, but hopeing the person who put it on there will. If it doesnt change it I am writting to them explaining the situ. If nothing happens after that, I am going to be corresponding with the attorney G office. Thats all I know to do. Its not fair to put on a credit report when you dont even know you owe. The money is being taken out of my check every week, how am I suppose to know what they do with it?? It all makes me feel so helpless...

Message 4 of 21
RUSTY101
Regular Contributor

I forgot to ask what if any difference it makes when it was posted to a closed account. The account says closed, but it says July 2, 2013 major degrog

Message 5 of 21
ArCpa
Contributor

If you knew you owed back child support, why didnt you just pay it and it would have never been reported late. Just curious

CC: Amex Green ( NPSL) Amex BCE ( 38.1 K ) US Bank Sig Cash ( 20K ) Pen Fed (42K) Chase Freedom ( 7.5K) Discover More (22K ) Cap 1 QSilver (10K) Barclays Rewards (9K) Care Credit (5.5k) Sears (12K) JC Pennys (6K) Dell (15K) Key Bank (19k ) Key Bank (16K) FFO (7.5 K) Shell ( 600) OCCU ( 20K ) City TY (10.5K) CSP (17.5k) Regions ( 18K )Simmons (15K) Regions BLOC (125K) Fuel Rewards MC(10K )Amex Hilton ( 23k)

TU ( MFICO 5/11/14) 812
EQ ( MFICO 5/11/14) 790
EX ( MFICO 5/11/14) 805

Message 6 of 21
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@b71913 wrote:

If you knew you owed back child support, why didnt you just pay it and it would have never been reported late. Just curious

Life happens.  Please don't judge.

Message 7 of 21
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@RUSTY101 wrote:

I forgot to ask what if any difference it makes when it was posted to a closed account. The account says closed, but it says July 2, 2013 major degrog

Here is a link to Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration.  There is a FAQ link that as useful information and answers some of your questions.

http://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/offices/childSupport/resources/Pages/FAQs.aspx

Message 8 of 21
RUSTY101
Regular Contributor

Thats just it guiness, I did not know I owed. The money is taken out of my check and sent direct to them. It is saying I owe $34.00. I did not know I owe any back support. No one informed me, I just pulled my CR and thats how I found out.

Message 9 of 21
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I would contact Child Support again and make sure you have the correct amount coming out.

If it isn't they will still hold it against you.  You would be required to pay the difference.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.