Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI vs. New Credit Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CLI vs. New Credit Card

Hello, everyone. I've been reading the boards for several months, using the helpful information in the hopes of optimizing my credit score. Now, I have a specific question about how to move forward in regard to my USAA credit card. Last June, I applied for a USAA MC and was given a $3000 limit. This is currently my only credit card (I also have an auto loan and a student loan). After my July statement cuts, I plan to either request a credit limit increase or apply for a second credit card (the USAA Amex or a card from another bank). I've read that new cards tend to give you similar limits to the cards you already have, and this is why I'd planned to opt for increasing the credit limit on my current card before applying for a second credit card at a future time. At the same time, I keep reading it's good to have 2-3 cards to optimize your credit score. Any advice on what I should do at this point: request a CLI through USAA or apply for a second credit card (through USAA or somewhere else)? My EQ credit score was 742 as of March, and I don't have any negative items on my credit report. Thanks in advance; any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
bodybuilder510
Regular Contributor

Re: CLI vs. New Credit Card

I would apply for a new prime card if you want a mix of credit cards. One that fits your lifestyle. Like cash back and points. I wouldn't apply for a card unless I utilize its reward system.
Message 2 of 3
FrugalRican
Blogger

Re: CLI vs. New Credit Card

Personally, I'd do both, asking for the CLI first and then getting another card.

But that's me and I'm not INQ-sensitive, specially if you only have one revolving account.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.