Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CMI - Call or Write?

tag
retroAction
Contributor

CMI - Call or Write?

I found out recently that Charter Communications has an unpaid balance for me from sometime in 2009 and the debt has been in collection with CMI since December of 2009. I know that I paid the account in full when I discontinued service so I called Charter to verify what the balance is for. The rep for Charter told me that they do show an unpaid balance but they no longer have a record of what that balance is for and that CMI should have that information. The rep gave me a phone number for CMI but I want to make sure that I am approaching this the correct way.

1. Is there a reason that I should write CMI instead of calling?
  2. Shouldn’t the original creditor still be able to provide evidence of services rendered?
  3. Is it likely that CMI will even be able to provide me with DV?

Thank you!

Current Score: EQ Fico 651 (5/22/2012)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
My Credit Rebuild Project Log
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: CMI - Call or Write?

@ClaytonRodgers wrote:

I found out recently that Charter Communications has an unpaid balance for me from sometime in 2009 and the debt has been in collection with CMI since December of 2009. I know that I paid the account in full when I discontinued service so I called Charter to verify what the balance is for. The rep for Charter told me that they do show an unpaid balance but they no longer have a record of what that balance is for and that CMI should have that information. The rep gave me a phone number for CMI but I want to make sure that I am approaching this the correct way.

1. Is there a reason that I should write CMI instead of calling?
  2. Shouldn’t the original creditor still be able to provide evidence of services rendered?
  3. Is it likely that CMI will even be able to provide me with DV?

Thank you!

Personally I would not call them, for me talking with CAs is akin to banging your head against a wall.    I'd recommend sending a DV, assuming that CMI is showing on your credit reports.   Have you ever received any correspondence from CMI regarding this debt ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 4
retroAction
Contributor

I haven't always been good at sorting mail and keeping records so it is very possible that I received a notice and just missed it. I just find it strange that Charter can't tell me what the charges are for. Maybe that is typical though?

Current Score: EQ Fico 651 (5/22/2012)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
My Credit Rebuild Project Log
Message 3 of 4
Tpelc23
Regular Contributor

I would send a DV my mail and see what response you get. They are not easy to deal to with and WILL NOT do a PFD. You have to pay and then hound them nearly daily for months to get the deletation. I just got my paid CMI deleted today after nearly 2 months.

2/28/12 -TU FICO 646 3/28/12 TU-FICO 647 4/19/20 TU-662,
2/28/12 - EQ FICO 557 3/14/12- EQ FICO 600 3/16/12 EQ FICO 623, EQ FICO 628, 7/2/12 662
2/20/12 - EXP FAKO 620 3/16/12 FAKO 631 FAKO 643 3/28/12 655 (MTG pull) 5/7/12 698

CURRENT GOAL MID 640 LONGTERM 700 CLUBSmiley Happy
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.