Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CMI / Time Warner re-aging

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CMI / Time Warner re-aging

Hi all, I am new to these forums and new to cleaning up my credit.

I have already sorted out most of the baddies on my reports and I am down to 3 remaining. One drops off in March and I have sent them a GW as it was PIF back in 2003.

Another drops off in June, it is a CO that is out of SOL and there isn't much I can do about it.

Then there is CMI! I had Time Warner cable service when I lived in NC in 2000-2001 time frame. I left NC in December 2002 but hadn't had Time Warner in over a year. Now I check my reports and all 3 have CMI collecting for Time Warner Cable of Morrisville NC. Between Dec 2002 and Apr 2006 I lived in 5 different states and was never a Time Warner customer in any of them.  I never received a dunning letter from CMI.

Here is the TL:

CREDIT MANAGEMENT
Agency Address:    17070 Dallas Pkwy
Dallas, TX 752481950

Date Reported:    06/2005
Date Assigned:    05/2005
Creditor Classification:    Cable/Cellular
Creditor Name:    TIME WARNER MORRISVILLE
Account Number:    XXXX
Account Owner:    Individual Account.
Original Amount Owned:    $306
Date of 1 st Delinquency:    01/2005
Balance Date:    06/2005
Balance Owned:    $306
Last Payment Date:    N/A
Status Date:    06/2005
Comments:    N/A

So naturally I disputed with all three CRAs. They all came back verified, here is what Equifax had to say:

We have researched the collection account. Account # - XXXXXXXX The results are: Equifax verified that
this item belongs to you. If you have additional questions about this item please contact: Credit Management, 17070
Dallas Pkwy, Dallas TX 75248-1950
Credit Management; Collection Reported 01/2009; Assigned 05/2005; Creditor Class - Cable/Cellular; Client - Time Warner Morrisville; Amount - $306 ; Status as of 01/2009 - Unpaid;
Date of 1st Delinquency 01/2005; Balance as of 01/2009 - $306 ; Last Payment Date 01/0; Individual Account; Account # - XXXXXXXX; Address: 4200 International Pkwy Carrollton TX
75007-1912 : (800) 377-7724

It says last payment date was "01/0" what year is that supposed to be?!?! My DOFD is 01/05 and yet I had been living in Colorado for almost a year by then and had Comcast cable for that same time.

Anyway, I sent a DV to CMI and they signed for it on 1/27/09. My main question is, if this is actually a valid debt from when I had Time Warner Cable over eight years ago can they legally report the DOFD as 01/05? And what should be my next step if they do not respond to the DV?

Thanks for your assistance.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CMI / Time Warner re-aging

Ok. I called TW to verify. They said my last account with them was closed in 2000 and had an outstanding balance of $306 but the file was too old to tell what the balance was for. So CMI is reporting this thing 5 years later then it occured! Advice?
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

if the account was closed in 2000 then it's illegal for them to report.

file immediately complaints against the CA with the AGs in both states, the BBB and the FTC.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok will do. Now how do I get them to stop reporting to the CRAs?
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
 Ok will do. Now how do I get them to stop reporting to the CRAs?

first you file the complaints for violations of FDCPA and FCRA for illegal re-aging of the debt and illegal reporting of a tradeline past the FCRA terms for reporting.

then you send a DV letter to the CA to see what they provide you with.

let pass 30dd from receipt - at this point either your complaints and\or the DV letter might have induced the CA to remove the offending tradeline from your reports.

if not, send an ITS letter to the CA giving them 1 week to remove or file suit.

you can also send a letter to the CRA telling them the tradeline is past the reporting time allowed by the FCRA and asking to remove. you should write that if they don't remove, you will consider them in willful violation of the FCRA.

wait couple of weeks.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks demed!

I spoke with TW collections dept. and they are faxing me proof that the account was closed in 2000. Very nice people when they know the SOL is up!

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

the same thing happened to me today. Time Warner screwed up but the negative reports have already hit my credit report. I am going to FLIP out on someone at Time Warner. The account is showing as paid and is from 2001. So how the F did it get reported to a collection agency!!?? FYI I am NEVER going to use Time Warner again. I would rather sit in a cave and watch rocks grow than go through what they have put me through again.

Message 7 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Your entire problem is establishing the true DOFD on the OC account.  It is not one of obtaining lame DV by the CA.

The CRA cannot, under FCRA 605(c), continue to include in any credit report they issue any collection that has passed 7 1/2 years from the DOFD on the OC account.  When the CA reported, and what they reported, does not reset this single date-certain,  So CA postings are meaningless except for the reported DOFD.

The CA has reported a DOFD of 1/2005.  If you terminated your account with the OC back in 2001, and they claim it was delinquent at that time, there is no way that you can have a DOFD in 2005. 

You determine your DOFD, based not on what the OC or CA reports, but based on your own account records.  Hopefully, you still have records on the OC account.

If not, is the OC reporting of prior derogs still in your current, or past CRs?  You can use them to reconstruct your DOFD.

If you cant do either of these, you are at a disadvantage, and need to pulll out the bigger guns.

Once you think you know what your DOFD should be, the next step is to look at any discrepancy in your date with the one included in your CR  Never accept a DOFD listed in your CR as the gospel.  Why?  Becausse you have no idea of how it got there, who reported it, and if it was reported accurately.

DOFD gets into your CR in multiple, and murky ways.  The goal is to get it into your CR at the earliest possible time., which is when the first delinquency occurs with the OC.  To that end, each OC, when doing monthly reporting on an open account, is asked to update by providing the date of current, first delinquency as an update to field code 25, the "FCRA Compliance Date/DOFD."  It is not required reporting, and thus is no always done.

The FCRA recognizes this possiblity.  Once a CA is posted, the CRA must know the DOFD upon which to calcualte the 7 1/2 expiration of its continuance in your CR.

If they dont have this due to prior reporting by the OC, they must get it somehow.  That is what FCRA 623(a)(5) is all about.  It requires each CA to report to the CRA, within 90-days of posting a collection, the DOFD on the OC account.  But that is often difficult for the CA to do, because they are not the OC, usallyy dont have adequate records to determine the true DOFD.  So read FCRA 623(a)(5)(B), which sets out some guidlelines for them to use in making a good faith reporting of the murky DOFD.  But many CAs will just throw out the date of their collection activity as the reported DOFD under 623(a)(5).  That is illegal reaging, if intentionally and knowingly inaccurate.  Hard to prove.  The CRA can only use the garbage sent in, and thus have no alternative other than to throw garbage out in your CR.

If you want to get your legal ducks in a row, you have the right to obtain the DOFD reported by the CA, and thus the date that the CRA is relying on.

Suggested letter to each CRA:

(Identify the OC and CA )

"This is a request under FCRA 609(a) for items of information in my consumer file.  It is NOT a dispute of anything.

"I request, specifically, the "FCRA Compliance Date/Date of First Delinency last reported by the above-named original creditor to my credit file.  This should be recorded in the base segment, field code 25, of the oriiginal creditor account with you.

"In addition, due to the posting of a collection by the above-named debt collector, they were requried, under FCRA 623(a)(5)(A) to have reported to you the date of commencement of any delinquencies on the original creditor account for which they are seeking debt collection.  I thus request information on when the collection agency complied with this requirement (or a statement by you that they did not comply), along with the date of coimmencement of first delinqency that they provided.

"I understand that this request requries payment of a fee to you under FCRA 612(f) in the current amount of $10.50. Enclosed is my check in that amount to cover the required fee."

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.