cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CO Pulling HP on Settled Account / CO on CRA

tag
WXYZ78006

CO Pulling HP on Settled Account / CO on CRA

I just found something new that has yet to be asked here.....

Company hired a CO who hired an attorney service/co to collect. I contacted the attorney service/co and settled to pay off the account.

Two things happened .... On the DAY I paid the account the CO reported on my CRA. They were not previously reporting till then. Also, the account service/CO pulled a hard inquiry HP on my credit. Is this allowed!? Why did they do this when I was paying them!!!!!!!
(WX) '13START TU500 EQ592 & 19'RESET TU545
(YZ) '13START TU586 -> 621 EQ612 & PAID OFF ALL FOR 19'RESET EXP589
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: CO Pulling HP on Settled Account / CO on CRA

CO? do you mean CA? If the OC(Original Creditor) hired a CA to collect on a unpaid debt they do have PP to HP your credit report. As to why they did it on the day you finally paid it off, it could've been done before they received final payment from you. I would call and ask.

Message 2 of 4
WXYZ78006

Seeing as it was on a Sunday I find it hard to believe. I think it was done durning on conversation when I settled. It was the OC who hired a CA who hired an attorney creditor to collect. Due to that, the CA is now reporting
(WX) '13START TU500 EQ592 & 19'RESET TU545
(YZ) '13START TU586 -> 621 EQ612 & PAID OFF ALL FOR 19'RESET EXP589
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The inquiry is a bit iffy, as it depends upon whether the pull was made before or after they had accepted payment.

If they accepted payment as satisfaction of the debt, that terminated collection of any debt, and with it, their permissible purpose.

Inquiries are almost impossible to dispute even under the best of conditions, and I would not recommend disputing under your conditions.

I would call them and ask for their informal deletion based on the cirecumstances.

As for reporting after payment, payment of the debt does not negate the fact that they had legitimate collection authority, which they can still report.

However, they should have concurrently included in their reporting that the collection is both closed and has a $0 balance under their collection.

Kinda silly, as it no longer serves a business purpose on their part, but not improper.

They could argue that it serves the interest of the credit reporting system by accurately recoriding the fact that debt collector activity was a part of the history of the debt.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.