Established Contributor

CO and Collection from Capital one

Im confused I thought that a account can only show as a chargeoff if they didnt sell the account to a collection agency. So I have a charge off from capital one on my report as well as a collection from the same account is this legal? Im sure Im taking a point hit on this.

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Established Contributor

Re: CO and Collection from Capital one

A CO means that the OC took a loss on the account. That doesn't mean that the debt isn't valid.

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $22.8k I Chase Ritz-Carlton - $21k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $10k I NFCU CashRewads Visa Signature - $10k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Citi Double Cash - $3.6k I NFCU CLOC - $15k

EQ FICO - 679 (2/6/15) I TU FICO - 686 (2/6/15) I EX FICO - 698 (2/6/15)
Moderator Emeritus

Both a CO and a CA can report, though only one can report a balance.

Epic Contributor

+1

A charge-off is a business accounting measure that reflects the creditor's statement at that point in time that the bad debt is now considered "uncollectible."

They can thus move it from a receivable (taxable) asset to a business writeoff.

The subsequent status of the debt is irrelevant to the fact of the CO.  If the OC laters collects some of the charged-off debt, they reconcile that with the IRS in their accounting of receivables.

The entire amount of the charged-off debt is still due to the owner, and they may pursue collection of the entire amount, as long as they still own the debt.

As far as the consumer is concerned, the act of a prior charge-off has no effect on the full debt, or the authority of anyone to continue to attempt to collect it.

If a debt collector becomes involved, either as an assignee of the creditor or the owner, they are entitled to collect on the full amount, and report those collection efforts to the CRAs.  The owner reports the debt owed, and the debt collector reports the debt they are collecting upon.  If the debt collector buys the debt, their reporting reflects both.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.