Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COLLECTION AGENCIES AFTER 7 YEARS!!! NEED HELP

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

COLLECTION AGENCIES AFTER 7 YEARS!!! NEED HELP

I had several negative account listed on my credit report.  It's been over 7 years now and they are all removed from my 3 credit reports.  Eveything is clean now and I am rebuilding my credit.  My question is, can an old collection agency access my credit report whenever they want at this point?  I would like to change my address and my new employee but I don't want them to find my new address etc.  Since they are removed now, is it legal for them to access my credit report in the future?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
jadeite788
Established Contributor

Re: COLLECTION AGENCIES AFTER 7 YEARS!!! NEED HELP

yup.....It's called account review inquiries... I have them on my credit report.

Starting Score: 565
Current Experian Score: 634 (Lender pull)
Current Equifax Score: previous 668, 680 as of 11/12/13 lender pull
Current Transunion Score: previous 675,677 as of 09/23/13
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 7
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Yes, but they can't report anything after 7 years.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can they do a hard pull if they are not listed on my credit report?  or just a soft pull?  So what happenes if they find me?  They can report an old account over and over again?  Will I have to pay for a debt I owed 7 years ago?  My last question is what do you do if they call you at work or your HR, etc?  Thank you guys

Message 4 of 7
slg
New Contributor

If its been seven years and they try to contact you send a cease and desisT letter cmrrr 

That should make them go away 

BCE 12800, bofa travel rewards 8k, Barclays apple 6200, Macy's 2000, Macy's Amex 3200, merrick bank 300 , Victoria secret 1350, jcrew 1350
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.  Is is possible to remove hard inquiries from debt collectors?  They are no longer listed on my report but they keep putting hard inquiries which keeps loweing my score. 

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Being listed on your CR is not a requirement for them to have permissibe purpose to pull a CR.

The same applies to being excluded from your CR based on expiration of the CR inclusion period.

Permissible purpose arises as a result of their current authority to collect on the debt.

Once a debt collector no longer has collection authority, such as if the OC terminates their authority or they sell the debt, then their permissible purpose disappears.

Sending a cease communication letter under FDCPA 805(c) only prevents communication with the consumer, and does not prevent continued credit report inquiries.

As for reporting, the statute does not prevent any party from continuing to report information to a CRA based on expiration of the credit report exclusion period.

The requirement is imposed on the CRAs to block any such reporting from any credit report they issue after expiration of the exclusion period.

Thus, they can still report, but it's kinda futile. 

If information that has been excluded continues to appear in your credit report after its exclusion period, the CRA is the party in violation of section 605(a), and it should be addressed by a complaint to the CRA, not a dispute of the reporting by the furnisher.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.