Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COLLECTION AGENCY (ID THEFT)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

COLLECTION AGENCY (ID THEFT)

Hello,

I am a victim of identity theft.  I finally got a fraudulent account removed from all three credit reporting firms, but a collection agency still owns the debt and they might sell or transfer the account to another firm at some point...

What is the best way to prevent the current collection agency from selling or transfering this fraudulent account?  thx.

nick

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: COLLECTION AGENCY (ID THEFT)

File a police report and then dispute with the evidence. They might place a fraud alert for a few months and be sure you stay on top of your report. 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I am a victim of identity theft.  I finally got a fraudulent account removed from all three credit reporting firms, but a collection agency still owns the debt and they might sell or transfer the account to another firm at some point...

What is the best way to prevent the current collection agency from selling or transfering this fraudulent account?  thx.

nick

You need to read FCRA 605B - its the ID Theft provision of FCRA. It REQUIRES the CRAs to remove ID theft items within 4 business days of being provided with the required information (proof of ID, police report, credit report showing item to be removed, and statement that it was not authorized by you). If these four items are also sent to the OC/CA they must provide you with ALL information they have regarding that account. FCRA 615(f) specifically prohibits the sale or transfer of accounts that result from ID theft.

Message 3 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.  very helpful.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.