Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COLLECTION PAID SCORE DROPPED??

tag
dpage
Contributor

COLLECTION PAID SCORE DROPPED??

Hello everyone, I paid off a collection account and now my score has dropped 19 points for doing so, can anybody give some insight on this??

Proud home owner
Lender Pull 03/28/2011 EQ:708 TU:698 EXP:709

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: COLLECTION PAID SCORE DROPPED??

Hi there.

Was this your last derogatory? If so sometimes this will result in a score drop because of being "rebucketed". Or something else in your reports might have changed.

Just paying a collection won't affect your score. The damage is the same whether paid or unpaid.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 5
jnydc
Contributor

FICO may be listing that as a recent "late payment".  Though the account is closed, you have now but recent activity with the late payment, and they dingged you!

2009 Credit Portfolio: First Premier 450, Orchard Bank 400

2012 Credit Portfolio: AMEX; Gold, Zync, & Clear 5k
Citi Platinum Select 2k, Home Depot Store (Citi) 4k, Discover More 10k, Barclays Apple 2k, Cap 1 (secured) 2.5k
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any recent activity on a negative account seems to update to a recent negative.  I have experienced that and it will drop your score .  it is always best to attempt a pay for delete with collectors, if all else fails pay the bill but expect a drop in FICO

Message 4 of 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Any recent activity on a negative account seems to update to a recent negative.  I have experienced that and it will drop your score .  it is always best to attempt a pay for delete with collectors, if all else fails pay the bill but expect a drop in FICO

This doesn't apply to collections. I have been guilty in the past of spreading this in error. Since HTSU explains things MUCH better than I can I will C&P this from one of her posts:

Collections are scored off the date of assignment, not the DOLA. A change in DOLA shouldn't affect the score. .

This is such a common belief that we're trying to find examples with before-and-after reports where it happened, in order to see what's going on. If either the CA or the CRA is handling the data incorrectly, it needs to be corrected.

Here's a thread discussing this: Settle or Pay in Full?

Again, I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, but it's not supposed to, if the CA is reporting correctly and if the CRA is putting the info into the correct data fields.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.