cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COLLECTION REMOVAL

tag
transitofmars

COLLECTION REMOVAL

Hi just joined forum. New to credit repair. My problem is I have a recent medical collection showing for Optima CA. This pulled my score down about 60 points. Ouch.  I'm interested in fixing this. I sent them a pay for delete letter certified us mail. I'm waiting to see if they would agree or agree to negotiate. The debt is &416. I offered $300.  I know they received the letter. It's been 17 business days as of this date and no response back.  Three questions- Can anyone offer guidance as to if I'm on the right track with this?  Should I be patient and wait them out?  Is there some other process I should be executing in parallel if the direction is to wait for the former?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: COLLECTION REMOVAL

Assuming the debt is legit and thus there are no verification or dispute issues needing action, then waiting a bit is probably the best course.

If you DV, assuming it would still be timely, it will impose a cease collection bar upon them, closing the door on any further PFD negotiations until such time as they choose to provide debt verification.  If CR deletion is your primary goal, DV might not foster that goal.

PFDs are a form of GW request, and giving them some time would most likely be prudent.  Upping your offer to payment in full might improve your chances of acceptance.

You might give them a call in a week or so, and get a feel for their position.

Meanwhile, is the debt still within SOL?  That is a relevant background consideration, as it affects options available to them.

Message 2 of 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1  RobertEG said it all.  Good Luck!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 4
transitofmars

Thanks for your replies.

SOL – for my state it seems yes because this debt is  < than 1 year old.

DV - I did not take that step and I do not know if the CA bought it or if it was assigned. I did call the OC and offered to pay in full but they told me no. But do you think it’s too late for me to send the CA a DV letter? -or if it's even recommended at this point?

I understand the point of Pay in full offer but I have read in some articles that these CA’s acquire these accounts for pennies to the dollar in some cases. I thought I might try negotiations at first. Who knows.. I will have to wait and see. At some point someone will have to make the next move. If they don’t communicate with me I’m guessing they will not take further action against my report (since I sent them a document) and sell this to another CA. I have read this could imperil the new CA’s efforts to collect even further. At that point I intend to seek validation from CRA’s. I’m guessing I could get lucky at that point and collection could be stricken but I’m sure it’s going to take time.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.