Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COLLECTIONS QUESTIONS

tag
tryin_to_make_it
Contributor

COLLECTIONS QUESTIONS

1. if you DV a CA, how lond do they have to validate or reply? or do they even have a time limit?

2. if they cannot validate do they have cease and desist all collection activities? also do they have to delete what they are reporting from the CR?

3. if the OC accepts payment does that mean the CA HAS to stop reporting

Someone please help with these questions. Also any and all additional info is greatly appreciated.  thanks in advance!!!

Starting Score: EQ-556, TU-614
Current Score: EQ-718, TU-768, EX-739
Goal Score: EQ-800, TU-800, EX-800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
aggieguy
New Contributor

Re: COLLECTIONS QUESTIONS

As I understand § 809 of the FDCPA a DV is only truly available if requested within 30 days of notification from the CA about the account, but notification is something that is debatable I would asume.

Also from what I understand there is no time limit for a response from a CA. The only requirement on their end is that they do not continue with collection activity until they have properly validated. They are not required to delete the tradeline from your report immediately upon receipt of a DV request. However, once you have sent a DV to a CA and not heard a response in some time, the general consensus is to send documentation of your DV letter, the CMRRR documentation, etc. to the CRA indicating that the CA is not resonding to a DV thus you believe they cannot validate the debt. If they truly cannot validate the CRA should remove the TL if it's investigation leads to the same conclusion.

If the OC still owns the debt, ask them to pull the account back from the CA prior to payment. Once the OC has the account send documentation to the CRAs of the payment acceptance and nature of the account with the OC. This should invoke a DV from the CRA to the CA and remove the trade line.

Hope this helps you! Good luck!

My Wallet: Discover $1500, CapitalOne Green $1500, Amex Zync NPSL, CU of TX $3000, Amazon Store $1000, Barclay Apple $1300

Chopping block: CreditOne $600, BestBuy $600, CapitalOne $500, CapitalOne $500
Message 2 of 4
tryin_to_make_it
Contributor

thanks

Starting Score: EQ-556, TU-614
Current Score: EQ-718, TU-768, EX-739
Goal Score: EQ-800, TU-800, EX-800

Message 3 of 4
ShootingStar
Regular Contributor

What if the OC says they will accept payment on behalf of the CA, but that it is not their policy to pull the account back from the CA?  Confused how this would ultimately report.
"It's myFICO and I can cry if I want to!"

Starting Score January 1, 2010: 640
Current Scores Updated Sept. 6, 2011: EQ: 765 / TU: 778 / EX PLUS: 773
Goal Score: 800

"Working my way up!" Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.