cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COMPANY TRYING TO SCAM ME FOR A DEBT ALREADY PAID! PLEASE HELP!

tag
bella1013
Contributor

COMPANY TRYING TO SCAM ME FOR A DEBT ALREADY PAID! PLEASE HELP!

So so upset!  In January 2013, I paid off all of my debts and received confirmation from all companies that the debt was paid and I have no outstanding debt with their companies.  Today, my uncle calls me stating that a "paralegal" from a law firm called looking for me about a debt and they would take my wages and property to recover the debt.  Huh?  I call the company, Law Offices of Doyle Alexander Phone Number: 310-305-4650 and the "paralegal" name is David Conway.  They tell me that my old account with Credit One Bank that I paid off in January 2013 was not paid, I still owe the money and if I don't pay them they will take my wages and property.  I advise them that I paid the debt to Mid Land Funding and the debt was confirmed as paid.  He then tells me that Mid Land Funding is a company based in India, that they are not the true owners of the debt but they think they have the right to collect on Credit One Bank debts but really they are and I still owe the debt to him.  Before I can say anything, he says he is going to file a lawsuit against me and take my property for the debt and hangs up on me.  Obviously, this is a scam.  I call back and ask for the address and they will not of course give it to me.  They tell me that I don't need it, he then told me to "blow him" and I called him a scammer and some other rated "R" words!  I googled the name and phone number and found nothing.  I am extremely concerned because he had all my information from the account, my full name, date of birth and the last day I made a payment to Credit One Bank.  What should I do?  Can I report them?  Who to? I'm so afraid they are going to steal my idenity or something of that nature!  What to do? Please help!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: COMPANY TRYING TO SCAM ME FOR A DEBT ALREADY PAID! PLEASE HELP!

Sounds like a scam to me.

I would report them first, to the local police department.

Then file a report with the FTC with as much information as you have.  Names, dates, phone numbers etc.  Also with your state AG office.

Please keep a look out for your credit report and make sure they don't try anything.

Message 2 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

There is actually a law office of Doyle Alexander out of LA.  Different phone number. 

I think I would contact them and let them know what is going on. 

After a google search I found plenty from the number you posted saying the same thing as you.

Message 3 of 7
bella1013
Contributor

Thanks! I appreciate your help! I am so scared they are going to try something using my name/identity. 

Message 4 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

They prey on people to pay debts with those types of threats not realizing you are someone who knows the ropes and won't fall for it.

Get those complaints filed.

You could put fraud alerts on your reports.

Message 5 of 7
BootStraps
Established Contributor

For good measure, you may want to consider filing a fraud alert with the CRA's.

Starting Score: All Under 590 (8/2011)
Current Score: Ex: 676 Eq: 681 Tu: 683
Goal Score: Ex: 725 Eq: 725 Tu: 725

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Back in the Garden 4/22/16 Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 7
bella1013
Contributor

Absolutely! Thanks guys!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.