Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COX Communications and Collections

tag
thejessulator
Valued Member

COX Communications and Collections

Well, I got sent to collections by COX and on the notice it shows that I owe 600 something for equipment (which is sitting in my garage) ... So when I go return it, do I need to contact COX directly to get that taken off?  How does that work?!

I want to get it taken care of before it shows on my report--

Thanks! Sorry for all the questions this AM!

J

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: COX Communications and Collections

Return the equipment and make sure it get credited back to the correct account. Also get a receipt for this.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yes, settle up with COX.  But the OC did not do the CA reporting, and has no authorrity to delete it.

Message 3 of 7
IOBA
Senior Contributor

When you return the equipment to Cox, ask them if it will clear the debt entirely OR if you owe a residual balance for interest/late fees/whatever.  

Get a receipt from Cox stating your balance is zero.  Smiley Happy  (If you owe a residual balance, be prepared to pay it in full at that time.)

Once you have returned everything/paid the bill, go home and CALL Cox and ask them to remove it from the CA.   Doing the request in person may not have the same effect.   

The next step would be to either DV the CA or send  a Goodwill letter to the CA.

****When you get an equipment receipt  from Cox make sure that the serial number is correct on the receipt and it matches the equipment turned in.    When you get a receipt from Cox stating your balance is zero, make sure your Cox account number is listed on the receipt.*****

Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you settle every thing with COX, then yes, the debt should be fully satisfied.

COX must then notify their debt collector that the debt is now $0, and that the debt collector thus no longer has any assigned debt to collect.

The debt collector must then do two things.  They must terminate all future debt collection activites, and must also update the balance owed under their CA reporting to $0 owed. 

Whether or not the debt collector chooses to just update their CA account, or to delete it, is totally up to them.  They may delete, simply to clean up their records, but are certainly under no requriement to do so.

Message 5 of 7
thejessulator
Valued Member

Thanks everyone--

I JUST got this notice a couple days ago, and they're not reporting on my report yet... so if I go ahead and pay everything, does that mean they won't report it?  Or can they come back and report it later and say paid blahblahblah...

I think I know the answer to this but just checking haha.

I owe for the equipment and also money for past due stuff I never bothered with... so I guess I'll just take care of everything and make sure to get receipts!! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Unfortunately, the CA can report after you have paid everything off.   Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.  If they do, ask them to remove it since it's already been paid and they did it after the fact.  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.