cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPA reporting, but OC has no record of me?

tag
jzsnow
Frequent Contributor

CPA reporting, but OC has no record of me?

Mediacom (cable) sold an account to Credit Protection Association in 2008. I called mediacom today to pay it, for pfd of course, and after 45 minutes of looking and searching for my social, address, and phone number, there is NOTHING THERE!

What should I do now?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: CPA reporting, but OC has no record of me?

Did you ever send them a DV request?  That is the formal process requiring them to "obtain" verification of the debt in order to continue collection activities.

Did the debt collector ever send dunning notice, thus establishing a prior period in which to file a timely DV?

The person you spoke to on the phone may not have had access to or taken the time to investigate all records.  Upon formal request, they will most likely dig a bit deeper.

Hard to say whether they could verify

Message 2 of 5
jzsnow
Frequent Contributor

I did not DV them. I was just stupid and ignored all the papers they sent. I'm hoping I can use this info, such as the lady i spoke with's name, customer ID number, and such to get a PFD since CPA is a pain in the butt to work with! CPA found the account, of course, and demanded payment. I told her I wasn't paying something the OC said I didn't owe. She's supposed to send me a bill or something.

Any thoughts?

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

When you say that you arent "paying something the OC said I didn't owe," what facts do you have to support that conclusion?

Now being outside of the debt verification period of FDCPA 809(b), the debt collector can continue any collection on the debt without restriction, and ignore any DV request.

The FDCPA debt verification process does not apply to OCs.

To obtain verification at this point would require that you meet the initial burden of providing some documentation for its inaccuracy, and thus have basis for a valid dispute under the FCRA, or to persue your own legal action.

If they sold the debt, they most certainly represented to the purchasing debt collector that it was a valid debt. 

Having sold the debt, the OC can no longer accept any payment on the debt, PFD or otherwise.  PFD offers would go to the owner of the debt.

Earlier deletion of any reporting done by the OC would be pursued separately via GW requests.

Message 4 of 5
jzsnow
Frequent Contributor

I'm sorry if I was not clear. I am not attempting to PFD with the OC. The OC, mediacom in this case, has no record of me. Yet, the CA, CPA, is reporting on my CR I owe a balance.

The only 'fact' I have that I don't owe this bill is that OC saying my last bill was paid and they have no record of me owing any money. I don't keep every cable bill/receipts from 4-6 years ago.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.