Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CR only shows partial account number for CA

tag
natasjlp
Regular Contributor

CR only shows partial account number for CA

I have a CA on my EX CR and I tried to dispute it through EX. Came back as 'verified' - foolish, yes now I know. I now want to DV the CA but have never received a collection notice from them, so nothing to 'respond' to.

I pulled the CR from EX and it show only a partial account number fro the CA:

Account Number:

How do I obtain the full account number and do I need the full account number in order to DV a CA?

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CR only shows partial account number for CA

Just include your name and address and the partial account number.

Your name

Your address

Account # as stated on credit report: 1232345*******

To whom it may concern,

I recently reviewed my personal credit report and notice that you are reported a debt that I allegedly owe your company. In accordance with FDCPA 809, please send me full debt validation of the above referenced account, including a copy of the debt or judgment.

Thank You,

natasjlp

Message Edited by sidewinder on 05-19-2009 07:17 AM
Message 8 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

You dont need the full account in order to DV. Is the collection account yours? Original creditor stated on the report?
AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 2 of 10
natasjlp
Regular Contributor

I am not sure if it mine - seriously. I don't think it is. Experian did an 'investigation' and it came back as 'verified', whatever that means.

Original creditor is Verizon but I have an open and in good standing account with Verizon for many years. Not sure how this CA exists.

The CR gives a partial account number. When I send a DV letter should I not include the account number or any OC info? 1 letter that I found has areas for you to enter all that info so I am trying to. But it sounds like I don't have to. Can anyone clearify?

Message 3 of 10
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

There are a couple things I'm thinking. 1 is this is probably an old verizon account and the reason why you havent received any notices is you have moved in the past, thus the CA has your old address. The other possibility is this is not your account and there was a possible skiptrace error. But EX verified, its probably because your old address is listed on your CR (matching what they have with the CA). I would just send out the DV with your name, address, and whats listed on the CR to better assist them in pulling up the information.
AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 4 of 10
natasjlp
Regular Contributor

The Address Identification Number on the CA matches my real address and matches my real address in the EX CR.

Someone suggested to me to only send them my name and address for a DV letter. Will this work or should I try and get the whole account number or use the partial one available on the CR. What's the difference and what is necessary for a DV letter and would it help to have more info or less as in just enough to make it more difficult for them?

Message 5 of 10
corkyduckfan
New Contributor

Whenever I want a complete account number, I just thumb through my most recent Transunion credit report.  For whatever reason, they have full account numbers.  This will only help if this account is showing up on your transunion credit report.  If not, then just use the numbers that the CA gave you and it should suffice. 

Message 6 of 10
natasjlp
Regular Contributor

funny, I just looked at my TU CR from myFICO and it doesn't have any account numbers at all. Do I need to pull it from ACR?

Also, it is only on EX, another reason I believe this CA is a fallacy. Either way I need to DV.

Are there any hard and fast rules about DVing a CA? Do you need an acvcount number or will name and address suffice?

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just include your name and address and the partial account number.

Your name

Your address

Account # as stated on credit report: 1232345*******

To whom it may concern,

I recently reviewed my personal credit report and notice that you are reported a debt that I allegedly owe your company. In accordance with FDCPA 809, please send me full debt validation of the above referenced account, including a copy of the debt or judgment.

Thank You,

natasjlp

Message Edited by sidewinder on 05-19-2009 07:17 AM
Message 8 of 10
natasjlp
Regular Contributor

gotcha. llecs just helped me out with this as well. I have a longer letter downloaded from the site, but that makes sense for account number:

[[ Account # as stated on credit report: 1232345******* ]]

didn't realize I posted this in the wrong section.

do you really think I should sign it natasjlp? ha! *jk*

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@natasjlp wrote:

funny, I just looked at my TU CR from myFICO and it doesn't have any account numbers at all. Do I need to pull it from ACR?

Also, it is only on EX, another reason I believe this CA is a fallacy. Either way I need to DV.

Are there any hard and fast rules about DVing a CA? Do you need an acvcount number or will name and address suffice?

Only a "native" TU report shows full account numbers.  You have to get this report directly from transunion.com or annualcreditreport.com (if you haven't gotten your free annual report).  If you got your report through a monitoring or scoring service (MyFICO, TrueCredit, etc) you will not see a full account number.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.