Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRA keeps reporting

tag
classicgirl

CRA keeps reporting

Hi All,

I have a question about a CA that is paid for that keeps reporting on the account. Can they do this? I understand them reporting when I paid it, but what are they reporting when it is already paid and at $0. It keeps lowering my score as everytime they report it looks like it is new when it is really 7 years old. I don't even understand what they are getting out of this, I've already paid, what more do they want. The CA is Asset Acceptance.

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: CRA keeps reporting

@classicgirl wrote:

Hi All,

I have a question about a CA that is paid for that keeps reporting on the account. Can they do this? I understand them reporting when I paid it, but what are they reporting when it is already paid and at $0. It keeps lowering my score as everytime they report it looks like it is new when it is really 7 years old. I don't even understand what they are getting out of this, I've already paid, what more do they want. The CA is Asset Acceptance.

Thanks in advance!

Are the adding the collection every month? is the DOLA changing? It's called re-aging and illegal to do. What state do you reside in?

Community Leader, 

DaBears

Message 2 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@classicgirl wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks in advance!

Can you clarify what you mean by reporting?  How often is this happening?  Every month, every few months?

Message 3 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@guiness56 wrote:

@classicgirl wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks in advance!

Can you clarify what you mean by reporting?  How often is this happening?  Every month, every few months?

+1

Once paid, monthly updating should stop, plus it's a CA, they can't list monthly derogs.  I'd like to see how it's updating.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

Nothing specifcally precludes a furnisher from continuing to file updated reportings that simply state the current status.

However, if it reports no changes, it is essentially useless and redundant other than to advise others that the debt remains paid.

The CRA reporting manual states that furnishers should discontinue reporting of the redundant after the debt is paid, as it just creates unnecesary work for all.

Perhaps the debt collector simply has the account in some automated system that simply regurgitates current status each month........

Such reporting is not a violation by reaging a relevant date that is regulated under the FCRA.

Updates may "reage" the date of last activity, but is not illegal.  The date of reporting that is regulated by the FCRA is the date of first delinquency on the OC account.

If they improperly report a later DOFD, that could result in violation of the FCRA, as it would extend the credit report exclusion period of their reported collection.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.