cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRA re-aged an account of mine - how do I clear this up FAST?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CRA re-aged an account of mine - how do I clear this up FAST?

I'm looking at getting a mortgage in the next 30 days. I noticed the CRA re-aged an account that I disputed back in February. The collection is unpaid and the original date of collection was 6/2006. I had been faithfully paying off all my old debt, but was recently told not to touch anything, as I could lose points right now. When I disputed this back in February, I got a notice it was updated and it stayed the same but was given a date of 2/2008.

How can I quickly, if at all, clear this up? I have my old reports clearly showing the original date on this collection. Everything stayed the same except it was re-aged. Do I want to touch this or will my score go down initially if I dispute this?

Right now it's showing that I received a new collection in February and I have not had any lates, etc. for more than 24 months.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CRA re-aged an account of mine - how do I clear this up FAST?

Nothing you can do besides a PFD -

mxnuy1 wrote:
I'm looking at getting a mortgage in the next 30 days. I noticed the CRA re-aged an account that I disputed back in February. The collection is unpaid and the original date of collection was 6/2006. I had been faithfully paying off all my old debt, but was recently told not to touch anything, as I could lose points right now. When I disputed this back in February, I got a notice it was updated and it stayed the same but was given a date of 2/2008.

How can I quickly, if at all, clear this up? I have my old reports clearly showing the original date on this collection. Everything stayed the same except it was re-aged. Do I want to touch this or will my score go down initially if I dispute this?

Right now it's showing that I received a new collection in February and I have not had any lates, etc. for more than 24 months.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seriously? I thought they couldn't re-age accounts? So am I supposed to believe that I've been paying off old debt, haven't had any late payments for 24 months, no new collections for 24 months and because I disputed a debt and it was updated and re-aged that I could lose my chance for my mortgage?

What it is showing is "date collection reported 2/2008" when the collection was reported 6/2006. They changed the date reported when I disputed this a few months ago.

Message Edited by mxnuy1 on 06-01-2008 10:17 PM
Message 3 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Those dates have nothing to do with re-aging. It sounds as though it could be a new CA with an old collection. The date to determine re-aging would be DOFD and yes, it is illegal to change that.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

They can not change the DOFD or the open date or DOLA
They can not modify it to have it remain on your CR over 7 years past the original DOFD

The reported date is provided by the CRA- the date the data was received.

mxnuy1 wrote:
Seriously? I thought they couldn't re-age accounts? So am I supposed to believe that I've been paying off old debt, haven't had any late payments for 24 months, no new collections for 24 months and because I disputed a debt and it was updated and re-aged that I could lose my chance for my mortgage?

What it is showing is "date collection reported 2/2008" when the collection was reported 6/2006. They changed the date reported when I disputed this a few months ago.

Message Edited by mxnuy1 on 06-01-2008 10:17 PM

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's on my TU report. I also have a collection company that refused to verify a debt that they claimed was mine from 7/2006. I asked for verification and they told me they did not have to verify the debt and would instead put "customer refuses to pay" in the comments section on my credit files. I let this sit and disputed it with the CRAs a year ago. They never verified and the CRAs deleted the collections.

Then 6 months later (in 12/07) this same collection company changed the name of the original creditor (still a company I've never dealt with), kept the same amount due, but listed it as a new collection in 12/07, when it had been originally "placed for collection in 7/2006 under another name. The CA is the same, the amount is the same, but the name of the OC is different and it's now showing as a newer collection - 1-1/2 years after the original "placed for collection date."

Is there anything I can do about these situations?

Message Edited by mxnuy1 on 06-01-2008 10:51 PM
Message 6 of 7
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

mxnuy1 wrote:
It's on my TU report. I also have a collection company that refused to verify a debt that they claimed was mine from 7/2006. I asked for verification and they told me they did not have to verify the debt and would instead put "customer refuses to pay" in the comments section on my credit files. I let this sit and disputed it with the CRAs a year ago. They never verified and the CRAs deleted the collections.

Then 6 months later (in 12/07) this same collection company changed the name of the original creditor (still a company I've never dealt with), kept the same amount due, but listed it as a new collection in 12/07, when it had been originally "placed for collection in 7/2006 under another name. The CA is the same, the amount is the same, but the name of the OC is different and it's now showing as a newer collection - 1-1/2 years after the original "placed for collection date."

Is there anything I can do about these situations?

Message Edited by mxnuy1 on 06-01-2008 10:51 PM

DV them & since they won't be able to...contact all 3 cra's & dispute...just like you did before & it worked.
BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.