Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CREDIT CARD NEGOTIATION

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CREDIT CARD NEGOTIATION

My husband and I have several credit cards totaling 26,000.  We want to pay them off, but we want to negotiate with the lenders regarding the balances.  If we do that how will this affect our credit and for how long?  Is it worse to negotiate down the balance or to pay them off little by little, considering that the CC are raising the interest and not really giving you an option for a lower rate unless you close the account!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: CREDIT CARD NEGOTIATION

If you negotiate a lower balance and pay it off, several things will happen.

1.  The card will be closed.

2.  They will probably want the agreed upon amount within 10 days.

3.  They will send you a 1099-C and you will have to pay 40-60% in taxes on the amount "forgiven".

My suggestion would be to call them up and ask for a lower interest rate.  Go on a payment plan.

1.   The card will be closed.

2.   The interest rate will be greatly reduced.

3.   The card will be paid off in 5 yrs or less.

4.   The criteria for a payment plan is to be able to pay if off in 5 yrs.  It reports card closed, paid as agreed.

Message 2 of 4
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Payment plan is the way to go. Some issuers may not close the account while you are on a payment plan. If they do close the account it will report as "Closed - Paid as Agreed" as long as you continue to pay as agreed. They key to a payment plan is your ability to pay down the card in a defined period of time. Be prepared to answer questions regarding your income. If you negotiate a lower balance the account will report as "Closed - Settled for Less" which is a major derog for 7 years.
Message 3 of 4
IOBA
Senior Contributor

It helps if you have an idea how much you can afford to pay each month.

When my friend and I called in about her account, we told the cc rep that it was a choice -- my friend could pay the cc (the amount they wanted) or she could feed her kids.  She told them feeding her kids came first.  She told them I can afford xxx amount.  It took some negotiating, but they finally agreed to what she could pay.  I think they asked her how much income, rent, car payments, living expenses, etc.  She had a budget done before we called.  She also had to explain WHY there was a change in her circumstances/income.

And for good measure, she pointed out to them that she knew things were tight and had *chosen* NOT to use her card in the recent months.  Smiley Happy   

Good luck!  Email me if you want to do a dry run practice or need more information. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.