Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CREDIT REBUILD PROJECT LOG

tag
mahiven
Regular Contributor

Re: 2013 Credit Goals - REVISED

Item 6: Not worth the hassle.

Every time I start I feel like that my wife reminds me that companies like Verizon spend more money per day on legal fees than I make in a year and that they'll drown me in paperwork until I give up.

03/19/2011 EQ: 627 EX: 602 TU 590 (lender pull) 07/16/2011 EQ: 646 EX: 629 TU 647 Fell off the wagon in 2012. Starting over in 2013.Current Score: 01/07/2013 EQ: 646 EX: ??? TU 608 Goal Score: 700 club

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 281 of 450
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: Go for the kill?

@mahiven wrote:

Item 6: Not worth the hassle.

Every time I start I feel like that my wife reminds me that companies like Verizon spend more money per day on legal fees than I make in a year and that they'll drown me in paperwork until I give up.

I know the feeling...  The thing is, I'm right, and they are reporting wrong.  I disputed, emailed, wrote, went to the CEO, spent months back and forth with the exec rep and credit reporting dept. at Verizon Home and got no help.  I even have printouts from my bank's billpay records proving I'm right.

Plus their collection rep verbally agred not to report me to the CB if I did the payment plan...  and then did it anyway.  And their monthly reporting shows Collection two months after it was paid in full.

Last year I opened a federal case against a mortgage servicer that was reporting incorrectly on my wife's report.  I can't go into detail but was definitely satisfied with the outcome and we didn't have to go to court.  I know the law is on my side.  If I brought suit I imagine they would settle with deletion included, but right now they are only reporting to Experian, and it's six years old.

That other case was a much bigger deal, and this has less effect on my ability to get credit... but it pisses me off that they won't fix it, and I'd like to have it gone when I app for a mortgage.  Besides a couple of very old lates, that is the only spot on my report.

I'm not really worried about them burying me in discovery requests; all it will do is run up thier legal bill, and by extension their cost to keep fighting me.

At a certain point it's about the principle of the thing.  But is the potential net gain worth my time?  I don't know.

Message 282 of 450
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: Go for the kill?

@p- wrote:

At a certain point it's about the principle of the thing.  But is the potential net gain worth my time?  I don't know. 

So I decided to postpone filing a lawsuit against Verizon for now, and try going through the BBB instead.  Turns out they are a BBB accreddited business.  Here is a copy of my complaint:

Around September of 2007 I received a phone call from a Verizon representative claiming that I had an outstanding balance due of 200.90 from service at a prior address. I had previously received service at that address but had not received any billing or statement for that amount. My service had continued with DirecTv under their billing at my new address, so I did not understand how I would have a balance, or why they did not notify me. The representative told me that if I did not pay that the account would be referred to collections and reported on my credit report. I made a verbal agreement with the representative to pay $25 per month until the account was paid in full. In return, the representative verbally agreed Verizon would not report me to the credit bureau, charge additional interest, or to refer the account to a collection agency. I made $25 payments from September 2007 through March 2008, including a final double payment in full in order to complete the arrangement early.

Upon review of my Experian credit report, I found that Verizon had reported me as "Collection" for the months beginning in June 2007, with the last monthly payment data of "Collection" June of 2008, two months after I completed payment.

After several unsuccessful calls and requests for assistance I contacted the Verizon executive office. My request was referred to Ro_____  ______, who referred me to Ca____ in the credit reporting department. Ca____ told me that it is reporting correctly as a paid collection, and was not interested in examining my proof of payment history, or assisting me with upholding the verbal agreement that the previous rep had made. I called Ro_____  ______ back, and he told me he would have to investigate the payment history further.

I left voice messages for R_____  ______ on 6-29-11, 7-6-11, and 8-10-11. I called again on 8-11 and spoke with him. He told me that he would send me a copy of Verizon's payment history, and to call back in a month after I received it. I did not receive anything by mail from Verizon. I called Mr. Ro____ on 11/7 and was again sent to voice mail. I called the credit reporting department on 11-7-11 and spoke with Ra____. He told me that the best way to correct it was to dispute it with Experian, and that would take care of it. I disputed, however Verizon verified the account making no changes to the incorrect reporting.

Since then I have been denied credit or received less than favorable credit terms on more than one occasion. The Verizon account is the only collection account on any of my three credit reports, and clearly to blame for the less than favorable terms. It is clear that I have been harmed by unfair collection practices, incorrect reporting, and Verizon's refusal to live up to their verbal agreement.

____

I would like Verizon to delete this account from my Experian credit report as previously agreed, and not report it again in the future to any of the three credit bureaus.

Message 283 of 450
p-
Valued Contributor

Verizon BBB Complaint

@p- wrote:
... I decided to postpone filing a lawsuit against Verizon for now, and try going through the BBB instead....

I received an email from BBB last week telling me that the complaint was transferred from NY Metro to Dallas.  Then, today I received a notice that it was transferred from Trenton NJ to Dallas.

Thank you for contacting our office regarding your experience. The information you provided involves a company or organization located outside the area served by Better Business Bureau serving Metropolitan New York, Long Island and the Mid-Hudson Region. It is important for each Better Business Bureau (BBB) office to be able to process, track and report complaints regarding businesses located within its own service area. Therefore, your complaint and any documentation you sent has been forwarded to the BBB office listed below for processing.
BBB of Metropolitan Dallas

For some reason, it appears the Dallas BBB office is the lucky recipient of Verizon Home complaints.  They have assigned it a case number, and sent me a link so I can track the progress of the complaint.  

The link doesn't work.  It results in "too many redirects" or times out, no matter what browser is used.

So, I have no idea what the status of my complaint is.  Nice.  I'll wait and see, I guess.

Message 284 of 450
Unique620
Frequent Contributor

Re: Verizon BBB Complaint

Hi P,

Make sure to respond back to that email, that you are unable to open it. I was getting the same message and they closed my case and had to reopen it.

Mcu_platinum_cardDiscoverQuicksilverAmazonFreedomSapphirePenFed_Credit_Union_Power_Cash_CardAMEX_BCPDeltaHhiltonAmex_platinumAppleNavy PlatinumCash rewardsNavy Platinum

Message 285 of 450
p-
Valued Contributor

@Unique620 wrote:

Hi P,

Make sure to respond back to that email, that you are unable to open it. I was getting the same message and they closed my case and had to reopen it.

Thanks for the heads-up.  I just sent a reply to that email, hopefully the complaint gets something moving.  Be the squeaky wheel, right?

Message 286 of 450
p-
Valued Contributor

@p- wrote:... I decided to postpone filing a lawsuit against Verizon for now, and try going through the BBB instead....

Update, kind of...   I got a call on Friday from a very nice exec rep at Verizon Wireless.  Unfortunately, he couldn't help me because my complaint was with Verizon Home.  I checked online, and the complaint is still open.  I emailed BBB today with a note that my complaint was not with Wireless.  Hopefully they are able to sort that out.  Somehow between all of the passing of the buck they mucked up which business the complaint was regarding.

Can you file a BBB complaint with the BBB about the BBB?  Lol...

Message 287 of 450
p-
Valued Contributor

@p- wrote:Somehow between all of the passing of the buck they mucked up which business the complaint was regarding.

I received an email response from the BBB telling me that they needed the original service address in order to get the complaint to the right office.  Responded, waiting to see what happens next.

So far, after two weeks the BBB hasn't even shown the complaint to the Verizon Home office.  It might just age off before they respond.

Message 288 of 450
yomellamoFICO2013
Regular Contributor

Re: CREDIT REBUILD PROJECT LOG

Very nicely Explained,I needed this

CURRENT TLS:

AMAZON $2K/ WALMART $2K /DCU $3K DELTA AMEX $1K
DISCOVER $1.2K/ PAYPALEXT $2K /COSTCOTU $1.2K

UPDATED 8/1
EQ
8/1/13 EQ 694 - (myfico) -
7/26/13 EQ 694 - (DCU)
9/10 EQ 701 - (myfico)

EX
9/8 - EX 707 (usaa/EX)

TU
6/18 TU 690 (myfico)
7/2 TU 694 (Walmart)
8/8 TU 676 (Walmart)
9/6 TU 676 (Walmart)
Message 289 of 450
yomellamoFICO2013
Regular Contributor

Re: CREDIT REBUILD PROJECT LOG

I just read your tremendous journey since 08. It's admirable to see how organized,diligent and persistant you are. A truly nice story.I joined the forums 3 weeks.ago and keep reading every night. Take care.

CURRENT TLS:

AMAZON $2K/ WALMART $2K /DCU $3K DELTA AMEX $1K
DISCOVER $1.2K/ PAYPALEXT $2K /COSTCOTU $1.2K

UPDATED 8/1
EQ
8/1/13 EQ 694 - (myfico) -
7/26/13 EQ 694 - (DCU)
9/10 EQ 701 - (myfico)

EX
9/8 - EX 707 (usaa/EX)

TU
6/18 TU 690 (myfico)
7/2 TU 694 (Walmart)
8/8 TU 676 (Walmart)
9/6 TU 676 (Walmart)
Message 290 of 450
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.