cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CU requiring me to close an account in order to transfer its balance?

tag
CreditGrasshoppa
Established Member

CU requiring me to close an account in order to transfer its balance?

Good evening all,

In my years of researching I know that CU's are an important part of the credit picture.  I recently just joined a local CU.  Since they use the same pull for 30 days, I decided to go ahead and have them run me for their Rewards card.

Here's credit picture currently.  I recently paid off most of my outstanding debt.  All I have left is $1100 on a $1500 limit Cap One card and about $1200 left on a $3500 Care Credit account.  I was interested in doing a balance transfer on these, and since I have paid off all other debt, paying it down rather quickly.  The underwriters approved me for $2.5k.  I initially asked for $5k.  Outside of my Care Credit, it would be my largest line since I am in the later stages of rebuilding.  However, they are requiring that I close at least one of the two lines upon payoff. 

I expressed my concern to the banker working with me.  I know closing will not necessarily impact my AAoA, which is fairly strong at about 5 years, however it would directly impact my utilization until the remaining debt is paid off.  Granted, I am gaining $2.5k in available credit, but I will be losing close to that amount depending on which one I close.  I do not intend to use the Care Credit again, but who knows?  I have two Cap One cards, and was hoping to consolidate them into one product with a larger line, if they will still allow that. 

The thing is, I don't mind closing cards.  I fully intended to close a few since they were paid off, namely my BBRZ Mc since I doubt it will grow, and my Hooter's card.  The Hooter's has literally given me a $300 increase every 90 days for the last year 6 months or so, and now sits at a $1600 limit.  However, it bills me a $4ish a month annual fee, and if they refused to wave I fully intended to close it.  I definitely want to move towards more prime offerings.

Is this a normal practice?  When I questioned it, the banker basically said 'The underwriters are requiring it in order to reduce your available credit since we are adding a new line.  Also, having access to excess credit can actually negatively impact your scores, so this is a good thing'.  As much as I have been reading, I know this is not true.  I would rather close the cards of my choice, not what's dictated.  If they force the issue, which one would impact me the least to close?  Is it worth it to get in with a CU that has a great reputation in my area?  Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: CU requiring me to close an account in order to transfer its balance?

You are correct that your banker's comment about increased credit is mistaken. If they are adamant about you closing a card then I would probably close the Cap1 card ~ your CL with Cap1 probably won't grow much more with them.

If it is a good BT offer then I'd take it over leaving a Cap1 card open.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
CreditGrasshoppa
Established Member

Thank you for your response.  It is 0% for 12 months I believe, no transfer fees.  Even if it is at full rate of the card, which is 10.49%, it is still almost half of the interest currently being charged on either account.  I am in a position to pay these off in 2 months give or take.  Do you know if Cap One still allows you to combine products?  This one is at $1500, my 2nd one is at $1000k with no balance, best case scenario I wanted to combine them both into the rewards card and have a $2500 limit.  If I can no longer combine I guess closing it would be my best bet, even though I would rather close the other Cap One card, as this one has reward points and the other doesn't. 

Message 3 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

0% for 12 months with no BT fee is a great deal, I'd jump on it ~ It's free money for a year !

As far as Cap1 combining cards, I would think that it is unlikely but you should call them first to see what they tell you. Hopefully you'll get a accurate answer ~ their CSRs can be all over the place with what they tell you. I'd start with one of the backdoor numbers.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 5
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

The offer your CU is giving you is better than what you will (probably) get with Cap One, and you will actually be lowering your util% by getting the new card, even if you close the Cap One.

Honestly, even if Cap One offered you the option of combining your two cards AND offering you a PC (from my own experience, neither one is likely, let alone both), the 0% for 12 months on the new card is great. Even if you can pay off the balances of both the Cap One and Care Credit in a couple of months you will still be saving yourself $$ in the meantime and have the option to pay down the debt at a slower rate without accruing interest.

Good luck to you, whatever your decision. Smiley Happy

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.