Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CVF Consumer Acquisitions/ Should I DV?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CVF Consumer Acquisitions/ Should I DV?

On January 15th, 2012 I received an Equifax alert that CVF CONSUMER ACQUISITIONS has been added to my credit report.  It is for $1600 and the account was supposedly opened 04/2006.  But  under date opened it says 08/11, and date reported says 01/12. Date major deliquincy first occused says 12/11.  I have absolutely no idea what this debt is.  I am currently trying to buy a house and I was able to successfully get 3 other collections deleted from my credit report, and my score was in the upper 700s.  I paid off all my credit card debt, and my lines of credit. Then this new debt is added and my score plummeted. 

It is now January 28th and I have yet to receive any type of communication or dunning letter from the CA.  I am pretty sure it is not mine because I did not open any type of account during that time and I don't recognize it.  I  have kept my information current on Equifax and I have mail forwarding for my mail from my last address still avtice so it is impossible for me to have missed any type of communication from them. I have done some research and it sounds like this is a violation under FCRA section 611?  What should be the first step that I can take to have this removed from my credit report? What would be a good example DV wording that I can send to them if it comes to that?

Thanks for your help in advance.  I need this nonsense removed asap.

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CVF Consumer Acquisitions/ Should I DV?

I also have another question.  I had 3 collections that I sent pay for delete letters to via certfied mail (NCO, PInnacle and Unique.)  Within a week all 3 collections were deleted from my report and I received letters from all three saying that the account was closed with their office and that they have contacted the CRAs to have them removed.  Does this mean I am completely in the clear?  

Message 2 of 31
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

On January 15th, 2012 I received an Equifax alert that CVF CONSUMER ACQUISITIONS has been added to my credit report.  It is for $1600 and the account was supposedly opened 04/2006.  But  under date opened it says 08/11, and date reported says 01/12. Date major deliquincy first occused says 12/11.  I have absolutely no idea what this debt is.  I am currently trying to buy a house and I was able to successfully get 3 other collections deleted from my credit report, and my score was in the upper 700s.  I paid off all my credit card debt, and my lines of credit. Then this new debt is added and my score plummeted. 

It is now January 28th and I have yet to receive any type of communication or dunning letter from the CA.  I am pretty sure it is not mine because I did not open any type of account during that time and I don't recognize it.  I  have kept my information current on Equifax and I have mail forwarding for my mail from my last address still avtice so it is impossible for me to have missed any type of communication from them. I have done some research and it sounds like this is a violation under FCRA section 611?  What should be the first step that I can take to have this removed from my credit report? What would be a good example DV wording that I can send to them if it comes to that?

Thanks for your help in advance.  I need this nonsense removed asap.

Welcome to the forums.

They have 5 days to send you that dunning notice after placing this on your reports. So yes that is a violation. You might mention that in your DV letter.

You don't have to wait to hear from them to DV this. Keep the DV short and sweet. Something like this is all you need to say:

"I pulled my credit bureau report, and I discovered that you claim I owe you a debt. Under FDCPA 809, send me validation of this debt."

"You claim I owe you a debt. In accordance with FDCPA, send me validation of this debt."

"I received your letter claiming I owe you a debt. Per the FDCPA, send me validation of this debt."

Send the DV CMRRR.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 31
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I also have another question.  I had 3 collections that I sent pay for delete letters to via certfied mail (NCO, PInnacle and Unique.)  Within a week all 3 collections were deleted from my report and I received letters from all three saying that the account was closed with their office and that they have contacted the CRAs to have them removed.  Does this mean I am completely in the clear?  

Did you get the agreement to delete in writing? If so then you have a lot of leverage to make sure these stay deleted.

If you have those letters guard them carefully and keep them forever!

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much. Yes, I do have those letters and I scanned them into my computer and locked them up in my files.  I will send that DV out on Monday. 

Message 5 of 31
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Not having dunning notice, you dont as of yet have their required statment of the current creditor.

You can send a DV without waiting for their dunning notice if you have their address.

One reason for DV when you dont recognize a debt is to obtain the name of the OC.  It might refresh some recollections.

Dunning notice is not required to provide the name of the OC, only the current creditor.

If and when you arrive at a point where you are prepared to assert that the debt was not yours, you put your FCRA protections into motion by first filing a police report, asserting potential identity theft based on your lack of any authorization for the reported account/debt.

Once you do that, you can compel the OC to provide business records in support of their allegation of your debt.  See FCRA 609(e).

You can also notice the debt collector of potential identity theft, and thus invoke the requirement of FCRA 615(g) that they provide you information normally attainable only by way of dispute.

Finally, you can put a block on continued inclusion of the information in your CR under FCRA 605A, and also block any party from transferring, selling, or placing with collection the debt until the 605B block is removed.  See FCRA 615(f).

In summary, there is a lot you can do, but you must first put your allegations into the form of a police report.

Message 6 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Robert.  That is a lot of do, but I will get to it.  I disputed it with the credit bureau but that might not amount to anything. The dispute is supposed to be finalized by the 17th of February. Should I wait and see what happens before taking any further action?

Message 7 of 31
zhenxinqian
Contributor

A lot of people are in this same boat. CVF Consumer Acquisitions is 'popping up' on a lot of peoples reports in the last month with a Date opened 08/11. The same 'account' popped up on my DH's report, and each CRA is reporting the company name and address differently. I researched the different company names a bit and they all fall under LVNV Funding or Sherman group. From my understanding, if you DV, they just sell (or pass on) to another sub company under LVNV Funding, and if you DV the new one, it just happens again. We've disputed with the 3 CRAs, and sent out DVs. However, it seems like this is only the beginning of the nightmare. Just wanted to give you a heads up. Good luck. I hope you get it removed.

Starting Score: 600ish
Current Score: 638 Myfico EQ!
Goal Score: 640 by March 1st, 2012

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@zhenxinqian wrote:

A lot of people are in this same boat. CVF Consumer Acquisitions is 'popping up' on a lot of peoples reports in the last month with a Date opened 08/11. The same 'account' popped up on my DH's report, and each CRA is reporting the company name and address differently. I researched the different company names a bit and they all fall under LVNV Funding or Sherman group. From my understanding, if you DV, they just sell (or pass on) to another sub company under LVNV Funding, and if you DV the new one, it just happens again. We've disputed with the 3 CRAs, and sent out DVs. However, it seems like this is only the beginning of the nightmare. Just wanted to give you a heads up. Good luck. I hope you get it removed.

OMG, this sounds like a complete nightmare!  

Message 9 of 31
Toonie
Established Member

They popped up on my reports this month after an AmEx approval. I immediately sent them a DV CMRRR and a day after receiving my signed green receipt back, the reporting miraculously disappeared from my reports. I've saved everything, but still just sitting back to see if they do send me a validation. At least for now they are gone.Best of luck to you.
Scores (all FICO):
EQ 653 (5/3/12); 676 (7/30/12)
EX 669 (3/12/12); 683 (per AmEx 7/5/12)
TU 614 (2/27/12)
Goal Scores across the board - 700+
Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.