Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

California state Tax liens

tag
sjt
Senior Contributor

Re: California state Tax liens -UPDATE-

@09Lexie wrote:

Well, I can't believe my eyes!  I received my Recorded in Error in today's mail!  I sent a GW letter via fax basically outlining their mistake ( same things I had outlined in phone calls over the years) but this time it took just one fax!  Thanks again, for suggesting that I try again!

Filed In Error FTB.jpg

Congrats!

So this is basically California's version of a "WIthdrawal"

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 11 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@sjt wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

Well, I can't believe my eyes!  I received my Recorded in Error in today's mail!  I sent a GW letter via fax basically outlining their mistake ( same things I had outlined in phone calls over the years) but this time it took just one fax!  Thanks again, for suggesting that I try again!

Filed In Error FTB.jpg

Congrats!

So this is basically California's version of a "WIthdrawal"

Yes

Message 12 of 19
chally
Regular Contributor

Big ups, that's really terrific! State tax liens are a real devil.

So, anyone know a clever way to convert my MA Tax Lien to a CA Tax Lien, a product upgrade (PU) if you will?Smiley Tongue

Message 13 of 19
redshoes
Established Member

Lexie, who did you fax this to? The FTB? Any particular department? I'm practically positive my CA lien (filed in '10 over '06 taxes) was sent to an address I hadn't lived at in two years. I wasn't actively repairing my credit in '10, but I had my head out of the sand and was watching what came in and never saw a letter from the FTB. It's been paid and released since earlier this year; I didn't even think about it being filed in error until recently. On my report, it's recorded in LA County, which makes me think they used my old address (I lived there until the end of '07). I need to pull the record from the LA County Recorder's office to see exactly what was filed, and if so, would I just send a copy of a driver's license (issued in '08, proving that the state had record of my new residence), note that I paid it in full and that I'd like it marked as filed in error and withdrawn? If I can get this lien removed, my report'll be 100% clean. If not, it's hanging on there until 2020, so obviously, I'd like to get rid of it.

Message 14 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@redshoes wrote:

Lexie, who did you fax this to? The FTB? Any particular department? I'm practically positive my CA lien (filed in '10 over '06 taxes) was sent to an address I hadn't lived at in two years. I wasn't actively repairing my credit in '10, but I had my head out of the sand and was watching what came in and never saw a letter from the FTB. It's been paid and released since earlier this year; I didn't even think about it being filed in error until recently. On my report, it's recorded in LA County, which makes me think they used my old address (I lived there until the end of '07). I need to pull the record from the LA County Recorder's office to see exactly what was filed, and if so, would I just send a copy of a driver's license (issued in '08, proving that the state had record of my new residence), note that I paid it in full and that I'd like it marked as filed in error and withdrawn? If I can get this lien removed, my report'll be 100% clean. If not, it's hanging on there until 2020, so obviously, I'd like to get rid of it.

I faxed it to the FTB. I did not send my DL because they had my correct address on file. I notified them of my new address, filed my tax return and received a refund the subsequent year. 

good luck!

Message 15 of 19
redshoes
Established Member

Thanks a lot!

Message 16 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 17 of 19
caliguy_7

Lexie, could you post a copy of the GW letter that you sent to the FTB, with any confidential information removed. That would be very helpful. Thanks

Message 18 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@caliguy_7 wrote:

Lexie, could you post a copy of the GW letter that you sent to the FTB, with any confidential information removed. That would be very helpful. Thanks

In 2004, we sold our home. We filed our personal taxes in 2005 (indicating our new address), like we've done every year,  We also submitted changes of address through the USPS, DMV etc. The following year, 2006 we filed our tax returns and received our refund.

In Aug 2007, I was notified of a tax lien for 2004 filed against me on November 2006.  I discovered this lien when doing an annual check of my credit report.  I immediately contacted the FTB and was told they had no record of our tax returns for 2004.  Immediately, I resent by certified mail  our copies and the lien was updated to PAID/RELEASED in December 2007.

I am requesting that the lien be withdrawn as filed in error. We were never notified prior to its issuance, our address was officially changed and at no time did we owe the State of California any past due taxes. 

I have spoken to representatives in the Special Procedures Section and they verified the original notice of lien was mailed to our previous address.  I requested and received a copy of a Letter of Account Status dated May 21, 2007 that was purportedly mailed to our new address but it was missing our condominium unit number.  Even so, this notice was sent 6 months after the lien was filed.  

A paid/released lien will remain on my credit report for another year and it's damaging my credit. 

I woukd appreciate if you would consider this request and withdraw the entire lien.

Thank you,

Lexie

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.