Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

California state Tax liens

tag
CreditHealthy
Established Contributor

California state Tax liens

Hello everyone! Has anyone EVER had any luck getting a California state Tax lien removed from your credit report, after it had been released? The lien was filed in 2005, satisfied in Dec 2007 but, as it's because I was not being very responsible in filing my taxes at that time, as a matter of fact, I didn't file for 7 years, and as it turned out, the state owed me money that year,but or course they had already sent the information to I guess the county recorders office. I'm very confused, who are you supposed to contact to even make an attempt to ask them to remove or delete? Any information from the forum would be much appreciated Thanks!:

What's in my sock drawer? NFCU LOC 15,000] NFCU Cash Rewards 20,000][ Golden 1Platinum Rewards Card 6,600 Discover It 5,000,] {NFCU goRewards 17,500} Barclaycard 1250.00,]Cap one 750.00 ], Watering my garden for the next five years:-)
EQUIFAX 727 EXPERIAN 732 TRANSUNION 743 FICO} STARTING SCORE....554 July 2013
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: California state Tax liens

We must be related! My lien was recorded after the State sent a notice to my previous address -2yrs old- saying they did not have my taxes. After resending them they released the lien would not withdraw . From advice given here, I sent a GW letter to the FTB and even the State Controllers Office. I haven't heard anything as if yet but I am going to keep trying.

By the way... Mine was recorded in Nov 06, released in 07
Message 2 of 19
CreditHealthy
Established Contributor

LOL! Maybe we are! Please keep me updated on your progress, and I'll do the same, I emailed the county recorders office. I will see where this goes.

What's in my sock drawer? NFCU LOC 15,000] NFCU Cash Rewards 20,000][ Golden 1Platinum Rewards Card 6,600 Discover It 5,000,] {NFCU goRewards 17,500} Barclaycard 1250.00,]Cap one 750.00 ], Watering my garden for the next five years:-)
Message 3 of 19
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It is quite possible that the state did not even report the lien to the CRAs, and thus has no involvement in credit reporting, period.

CRAs collection public record informatin via their own sources, and thus the state may have zero involvment in any notifications the CRA.

How did it get into your credit report?

The public record should be updated to show the lien was paid. FCRA 605(a) establishes the date paid as the begin date of the 7 year exclusion period

The CRA most likely will only check the public record in its reinvestigation of any dispute, and verify if still in the public record, and thus fix its credit report exclusion date based on the date of satisfaction of the tax lien.  You can thus begin the running of the 7 year clock by getting paid updated in your CR.

Ultimate deletion would thus most likely be obtained only by agreement of the state to remove record of the lien from their public records.

It not aware of any provision for requrinng the state to delete their accurate public records.

Message 4 of 19
CreditHealthy
Established Contributor

Thanks RobertEG, that information was very helpfulSmiley Happy

Message 5 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: California state Tax liens -UPDATE-

Well, I can't believe my eyes!  I received my Recorded in Error in today's mail!  I sent a GW letter via fax basically outlining their mistake ( same things I had outlined in phone calls over the years) but this time it took just one fax!  Thanks again, for suggesting that I try again!

Filed In Error FTB.jpg

Message 6 of 19
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Sweet @Lexie!!!! I was about to suggest sending GW letters to the State...I had a MD tax lien that was based on a return that I failed to file. State of MD filed for me and gave me no deductions....I owed $3500 and they filed the lien June 2012--same month I gave birth to my son. So, I GW everyone....finally after GW the Comptroller, I got a message the next day that someone would call me...a week later I got a copy of the lien withdrawl.   This forum rocks!!!

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Experian has already deleted it from my CR! It is totally clean now!
Message 8 of 19
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

You may have to harass EQ...EX deleted first for me too, then TU....then a few weeks later after a few letters and calls EQ. LOL Still AWESOME!!!!!

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 9 of 19
CreditHealthy
Established Contributor

Thanks everyone I'll try faxing them.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.