cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

California tax lien filed that is wrong, how to get rid of it.

tag
Tradewind
New Visitor

California tax lien filed that is wrong, how to get rid of it.

California thought I was living in California and when I was day trading the stock company sent my vacation home address to report I had income but not losses. The stock company said I had to go thru my 3000 day tradiing buys and sells...and account myself... Long story short even though I was a resident of Oregon and had continuous drivers license to prove it.  I complained and they told me I had to file a tax return to show a loss and I said I was not a residence of California, Just using the mailing address of my vacation home. I was resident of Oregon.  They said file and Oregon return.  Well I did not file an Oregon return as I had no income.  I was angry.  Anyway 9 years later its still there and my only bad credit.  I am ready to deal with it now.  Whats the best way to challenge this and prove I am Oregon resident and always have been.  I was going thru a divorce then so I let alot of things go.  Does a tax lien drop off over time?  Should I challenge the credit report or should I get Oregon drivers license bureau to write a letter showing I always had residence there.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: California tax lien filed that is wrong, how to get rid of it.

I did the same thing, different states.  A resident of WA on military leave in AR.  Filed my taxes while in AR and used my mom's address and now they are saying I owe the state over $2000.  It gave them a copy of my W2 that clearly shows I was a resident of WA state at the time, and wrote them a letter telling them my mistake for using an address someone could get in touch with me with if they needed to.

I have never heard back from them and to the best of my knowledge, it is not on my CR.

As for it dropping off, I have seen some say after 10 years but as far as I know it can stay forever until paid.

Message 2 of 4
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I have a paid/released tax lien in California. A paid lien will remain on your cr for 7 years since it was paid/released. Unpaid tax liens will remain up to 10 years from filing. The distinction for liens is different than bks for example. If its paid and you pay it - say 6 years from filing, it will remain 7 years from the date its released.

Make sure if you decide to deal with it now, you won't be adding more time for it to report on your cr.
Message 3 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

It depends on the CRA as to how long an unpaid tax lein remains and your state laws.   For EX it is 15 years.  EQ and TU is indefinitely.

In CA unpaid tax liens remain for 10 years from date filed.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.