Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call From A Courier

tag
aldex
Valued Member

Call From A Courier

I received a call from a courier in Texas. She indicated that someone will be at my house within a 4 hour time frame to deliver some documents. I would need to provide two forms of ID at the time and a signature. If I am not there, they are required to come to my work place, and I need to have a manager present. If I needed to I would have to call and reschedule. 

1. I live on the East Coast so I'm not sure why a courier in TX would contact me. 

2. I did call back and it went straight to a voicemail. I simply said I wasn't expecting a delivery and would like to know where the documents are coming from. 

I have been reading online that it may be a scare tactic or a scam. I just wanted to to get some thoughts from the board. I have been successful in settling and cleaning up my report prior to moving in with my SO .This is very important to me, and I really would like to avoid any surprises. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
silkysean
Regular Contributor

Re: Call From A Courier

@aldex wrote:

I received a call from a courier in Texas. She indicated that someone will be at my house within a 4 hour time frame to deliver some documents. I would need to provide two forms of ID at the time and a signature. If I am not there, they are required to come to my work place, and I need to have a manager present. If I needed to I would have to call and reschedule. 

1. I live on the East Coast so I'm not sure why a courier in TX would contact me. 

2. I did call back and it went straight to a voicemail. I simply said I wasn't expecting a delivery and would like to know where the documents are coming from. 

I have been reading online that it may be a scare tactic or a scam. I just wanted to to get some thoughts from the board. I have been successful in settling and cleaning up my report prior to moving in with my SO .This is very important to me, and I really would like to avoid any surprises. 

Thanks!

Either a scare tactic or you are trying to be served legal documents.Either way I wouldn't provide no 2 copies of my Id and or any signature on anything.Also I would tell them no way in hell will you come by job looking for me and if you do you will file a complaint.I know it varies by state but no debt collector should be allowed to harass you at your job.Now if you know who it is or who you owe I would try to pay the debt if you can And if you owe someone else but to me sounds like you have already taken responsibility for debt and taken care of everything.So if credit file is clear of debt and nobody legally after you I wouldn't worry about it 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@aldex wrote:

Thanks!

Scam.

Message 3 of 8
aldex
Valued Member

She called back twice and left a voicemail. Should I call back? I just want to avoid embarrassment of someone actually showing up to my work place. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@aldex wrote:

She called back twice and left a voicemail. Should I call back? I just want to avoid embarrassment of someone actually showing up to my work place. 

Calling back is exactly what they want. Google their phone number. Bet it comes back with some interesting results....

Message 5 of 8
ohreally7654
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@aldex wrote:

Calling back is exactly what they want. Google their phone number. Bet it comes back with some interesting results....

+10000 

OP, I'm so sorry you've been a victim of this.  This exact same thing has happened to me, more than once, and I can promise you it is an absolute scam.  Now I never answer calls from any number I don't recognize and whenever possible, just block the number of the party who contacted me.  The internet is definitely your friend, in this situation; as NormanFH indicated, there will likely already be information posted related to that phone number.  Don't be intimidated, no one will show up at your place of employment, I can assure you. The only difference between what they are telling you and what happened in my situation is that, instead of saying it was a courier coming to deliver documents, they indicated it was a process server coming to serve me with 'papers'.  No legitimate process server would ever announce themselves before coming! They are just trying to get money out of whomever they can.  Those that don't respond, they just move on from. 

Started rebuilding 8/2015. Current Fico 8 Scores 9/17: TU FICO: 698 (from 646 3/15/16) | EX FICO: 689 (from 617 3/15/16) | EQ FICO: 670 (from 614 3/15/16). Discover Miles: $10K | Amex PRG | Amex BCE $2K | Amex SPG $2K | Citi Aadvantage $7K | JetBlue Plus MC $3.9K | Walmart MC $3.5K | Marvel MC $5K | NFCU CashRewards $15K | CareCredit $12K | PenFed Amex $9K | USAA Limitless Visa Sig $6K | NFCU goRewards $20K | NFCU Amex $10.4K | NavCheck $13.5K | Blispay $4K | QS $9.5K | Pier 1 $21.1K | RH $20.7K | JCrew $16.8K | Wayfair $4.9K | Pottery Barn $19.5K | Discover IT $4.1K | Nord. Visa Sig $22K | USAA Visa Plat $2.5K | Neiman Marcus $6.4k | Amex Delta Reserve $1k | Saks $15K | VS $2.2K | Target $1K | Macy's $25K | Bloomies Amex $25K| West Elm $12.4K | PP Credit (Comenity) $4.4K
Message 6 of 8
aldex
Valued Member

Yea, it looks like a few people have received calls from the same number. There wasn't much info except that they called and didn't leave a message. Or the receiver called back and got a VM. It's been linked to a few IP addresses and marked as unsafe. I guess I'll just ignore. Thank you! It was really stressing me out!

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@aldex wrote:

Yea, it looks like a few people have received calls from the same number. There wasn't much info except that they called and didn't leave a message. Or the receiver called back and got a VM. It's been linked to a few IP addresses and marked as unsafe. I guess I'll just ignore. Thank you! It was really stressing me out!

I use "Extreme Call Blocker" app for my Android Phone. It allows me to block all calls that are not in my contact list or I can set up specific filters.

I have Most non-known numbers are set up as Hang up No Voicemal. (it "answers" then hangs up after a second). Some are Send Right to VoiceMail. Etc.

It is pretty flexible.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.