Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call from creditor after sending payment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call from creditor after sending payment

On the 8th of this month(Wednesday) I sent a money order from my bank to the law firm who's collecting for a parking violation last year. I enclosed a letter stating that I was paying for this specific account and would appreciate a receipt after the money order has been cashed. I also wrote on the money order that it was ONLY for this file number. I say this because apparently when I called last week about paying this over the phone, the woman I spoke with said they also had another account from 2012(medical related, but not reporting on any credit reports). I asked her to forward that info to me but in the meantime I would be paying the collection from the parking violation. This morning I had a missed call/voicemail from this law firm, not specifying the reason for calling just asking for me to call back. I'm nervous to call back at all. I'd really prefer to handle things by mail only because I don't want to be caught off guard on the phone. Should I return the call or wait for them to send me whatever they need in the mail? I assume they probably already received my money order.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Call from creditor after sending payment

Be aware that FDCPA 810 specifically provides that if you have multiple debts with the same debt collector, you can instruct which debt any payment is to be applied against, and the debt collector must abide by that instruction.  They cannot apply it to the other asserted debt, period.

I would call and find out what their issue is.

If you dont agree or dont know how to respond, simply request that they put their query or statement in writing.

Message 2 of 5
RonM21
Valued Contributor

If it were me, I may answer the calls just in case it is anything about that other account that you mentioned is not reporting. Reason being, while you trying to get this one squared away is good, you don't want that other one to hit your reports

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow I had the same issue with this collector that has 8 accounts for my medical, they are reporting for each one on my credit report, but when I first made payments they were putting to any account they liked even with me stating I wanted to a specific account. Well it comes to find out one of those medicals they were trying to get me to pay was an account that didnt even belong to me...

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thanks for the feedback! I didn't know that, about them having to abide my my request to pay the specific account. I was really worried they'd just apply it to whatever medical collection they had of mine from several years ago. I'll have to call them back Monday but in the meantime I'll check to see if the money order has been cashed.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.