cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling CA's triggering reporting to CRA's?

tag
js0319
Established Contributor

Calling CA's triggering reporting to CRA's?

I have made a few phone calls over the last few days to ask about the most current account balances, inquire about potential settlement offers, etc on some CA's. It seems like the day after I call, I end up getting alerts stating that the "CA has reported potentially negative information on your CR". Is this common? Also, I am out of free CR's, so I can't really pull to see what "potentially negative information" they could be reporting. 

Does anyone have any idea what CA's might send to the CRA's after you call them - maybe reporting a key derogatory if they have failed to do so for a while? I feel like I'm waking sleeping giants right now...

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
awash242
Contributor

Re: Calling CA's triggering reporting to CRA's?

I think rule #1 is to NEVER call a CA. All of my correspondance with them is through regular mail, and sometimes email.

Message 2 of 8
js0319
Established Contributor

Point taken. Any insights on what the CA's report after phone communication?

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

Message 3 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

One thing I would expect is an inquiry to review your credit file. Debt collectors use inquiries as a means to evaluate the potential collectibility of debt should they choose to pursue more active collection activities.

And since credit reporting has become one of the major tools used by debt collectors in their collection efforts, it would be reasonable to conclude that establishing communications with them, particularly if they related to potential $$ in their pocket, might trigger such an action on their part.

It is not, in my opinion, a "rule" in any sense that a consumer should never call a debt collector.  It can further negotiations on potential settlement, including PFD offers, can establish an intitial communication requiring dunning notice, etc.  The only "rule" I would offer is not to call a debt collector unless you know the game, and what not to say.

Message 4 of 8
js0319
Established Contributor

Would these be HP's or SP's when performed by the creditors?

Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It depends on how they code their reporting.  Creditors have a regular account review permissible purpose, and FICO considers those inquiries as so-called soft inquiries.

Debt collectors dont have regular account review authority, so base their inquiries on the permissible purpose of collection review.  They may or may not be coded such that FICO does not score them.

Reporting codes for inquiries are not regulated in any manner under the FCRA (except for unsolicited, promotional inquiries), and thus how they code an inquiry is very subjective and almost impossible to dispute as to its accuracy.  No real "rules."

Message 6 of 8
Student_Loans_Kill
Frequent Contributor

How do I know if I'm getting soft pulled? Only my hard pulls show on USAA daily pulls

Starting Score: 656
Current Score: 678 TU 08, 665 EQ MyFico, 698 EX PSECU
Goal Score: 7OO needed for Mortgage application

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 8
js0319
Established Contributor

Obviously, whatever they are pulling or reporting is something that has the ability to trigger an alert.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.