Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can CA Report Same Debt Twice?

tag
Karnage146
Contributor

Can CA Report Same Debt Twice?

Ok like I said in a previous post, I received a score watch report saying my score dropped two points. Upon doing research I came across something pertaining to this and I am not sure if this is even legal. It seems like Portfolio is reporting the same collection twice. Here is what I am talking about: It seems like they are reporting under two similar names. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Can CA Report Same Debt Twice?

They appear to be the same debt, and no they cannot report twice.

Are the account numbers exactly the same?  If they are, dispute as duplicate accounts.

Message 2 of 11
Karnage146
Contributor

Yes, its wierd tho. One shows up on EQ, the other on EX. The account is the same, but the one on EX the account number starts with 60, which is correct, the one on EQ starts with the numbers after the 60, which is incorrect. Both accounts dont show up on all reports, one on Eq and one on Ex. One balance (on an old report, now its 0) shows 435 and one shows 437. How do i file a dispute. What information do i need to provide? Also, will it be better to go straight to portfolio to see if they can delete before I dispute?

Message 3 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Now I am confused.  Are both of the accounts showing on one report or on two separate reports? 

The CA can report once to each CRA.

Message 4 of 11
Karnage146
Contributor

Lol I know its wierd. Ok so on an old freecreditscore.com report it shows the debt once in EQ, once in EX. Slighty different account numbers and slightly different balances. Same account tho. But I received a score watch report and it showed both accounts as the picture showed on my first post. But I thought score watch only monitored changes to EQ. Score watch said two accounts changed, both are the same. Does score watch monitor more than just EQ?

Message 5 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I don't think there are 2 accounts on EQ.  From what I understand it has to do with the way scorewatch notifies you of whatever is going on.  It makes it appear there are 2 of the same debt but there is only one.

To be sure, if you can, I would pull my free report from annualcreditreport.com.

Message 6 of 11
Karnage146
Contributor

Damn! Was sure I could use this to get it deleted lmao. Ok then any clue why my score went down 2 points when my balance dropped from 105 to 0? This is one of the GE accounts i told you about lol. Im afraid to GW this one right now seeing that the other one that is supposed to be deleted, hasnt been yet

Message 7 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I see no reason why it dropped.  Paying a collection should not impact your score one way or the other.

Are you sure nothing else happened?

Message 8 of 11
Karnage146
Contributor

Only other thing that score watch said was that it went from collection account to settled account.

Message 9 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

A settled account is scored on par with the collection, meaning trading one negative for the other.  I still see no reason for a drop.

Oh.....crap.  If I remember correctly the last update was 2012.  That would be why.  It updated to a current date making it appear newer and dropped your score.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.