Did you mean: 

Can CA report OC balance?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can CA report OC balance?

I agree that it's not likely to be deleted

I'm hoping it comes back verified.

What I'm thinking is dispute the last payment amount. If they change it fine.
If they verify the incorrect balance then I have some leverage to get it deleted.

Does anyone see where this wouldn't work?
Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I agree that it's not likely to be deleted

I'm hoping it comes back verified.

What I'm thinking is dispute the last payment amount. If they change it fine.
If they verify the incorrect balance then I have some leverage to get it deleted.

Does anyone see where this wouldn't work?

I can't tell, from the information that you've provided, if they're reporting correctly or not. It sounds like maybe not, but... I think disputing, in the situation, will likely not get you the end result that you're seeking; removal. I think it's more likely that you'll end up with an updated status, and an increased balance. I don't really see how this will gain you any leverage for deletion, or to remain deleted.

Questions:

1. Did you DV the CA prior to making the payment arrangement? If so, did they respond with the balance due? If so, was it a detailed accounting breaking down the original amount due, and the collection costs? What, specifically, is the extra $1000, over and above the original amount due for? If, for example, it's interest, they'd not be reporting correctly. If they're adding some type of surcharge (and assuming it's allowed) for using a certain payment method (for example) to pay the bill, and it's ultimately going to add up to $1k, then their reporting isn't wrong.
  2. Have you attempted to obtain a statement of the account from OC?
  3. Do you know if your state has a cap on collection fees? If so, what is it?

I do understand what you're asking, and as IIecs said previously, I wouldn't advise you to dispute. I don't see it working. Certainly not at this point. There are other avenues that you can pursue.

Message 22 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't tell, from the information that you've provided, if they're reporting correctly or not. It sounds like maybe not, but... - well thats what im trying to have clarified - if they are allowed to report the oc balance and last payment then i guess they are but if they HAVE TO report THEIR balance and last payment then they ARE NOT reporting correctly I think disputing, in the situation, will likely not get you the end result that you're seeking; removal. I think it's more likely that you'll end up with an updated status, and an increased balance. I don't really see how this will gain you any leverage for deletion, or to remain deleted. - I was under the impression that a collection is not scored based on amount owed - as in it can be $10 or $10,000. its scrred the same - as a collection acount. Correct or no?

Questions:

1. Did you DV the CA prior to making the payment arrangementno i never DV'd - am not disputing debt - i know what it is and who the oc is. If so, did they respond with the balance due? If so, was it a detailed accounting breaking down the original amount due, and the collection costs?yes i have a breakdown - the orig amt was $2900 - a deductable - the rest is collection fees What, specifically, is the extra $1000, over and above the original amount due for? If, for example, it's interest, they'd not be reporting correctly. If they're adding some type of surcharge (and assuming it's allowed) for using a certain payment method (for example) to pay the bill, and it's ultimately going to add up to $1k, then their reporting isn't wrong. there is no interest and its in my payment agreement that there will not be any accuring interest. the extra $1000 is fees from the CA. there is no surcharge for anything.
  2. Have you attempted to obtain a statement of the account from OC? i have a stmt from the oc showing the oc balance of 2900
  3. Do you know if your state has a cap on collection fees? If so, what is it? no i dont, am in nj. ill look it up - though i dont know if i can do anything about that now as i already made payment arangements.

I do understand what you're asking, and as IIecs said previously, I wouldn't advise you to dispute. I don't see it working. Certainly not at this point. There are other avenues that you can pursue.

see thats where i dont agree - if i dispute the balance only 3 things can happen:

1. they update the balances (ok, doesnt really affect my score either way if im correct in the assumption that the balance of a collection acount is not scored)

2. they dont bother verifing and its delete (yeah i know, but people win the lottery everyday)

3. they VERFIY the INCORRECT info isnt somebody in violation of something???

Message 23 of 26
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

When you dispute and they verify the accuracy, they dont have to provide legal proofs to substantiate their statement of accuracy.

The dispute process is not a legal proceeding.  The courts are the forum for the finding of facts.

If you take them to court, then you can require documentary support through the legal discovery process.  If you then find that they have verified, while reasonably knowing the debt to be inaccurate, you would have a cause of fraudulent reporting before the court.

Message 24 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you then find that they have verified, while reasonably knowing the debt to be inaccurate, you would have a cause of fraudulent reporting before the court

im not diputing the debt as inaccurate - im disputing what they report as the balances.

isnt there a violation if they knowingly report inaccurate ifno of the cras? after you dispute it and it comes back as verified even though that would be impossible.

this is why im confused that they would be reporting the incorrect balance in the first place. i have a written payment arrangement from them with the correct amout and payment... as well as the payment itself.

Message 25 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

*update

I disputed online with TU and ex. I couldnt get into eq online dispute so I'll be mailing that one. Just got dilute results back from TU and it was DELETED.

I disputed as balance and last payment incorrect.
Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.