cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can CA sell debt after receiving a C&D letter?

tag
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Can CA sell debt after receiving a C&D letter?

NOT IN MY LIFETIME  --- I agree.  I think a very important lesson for all of us in this is to teach our kids/ grandkids/friends/ anyone who will listen, about how credit scoring works.

My boys will become AU's as soon as they are 18.  We will start a good strong credit history for them as soon as possible.  And they will not make the mistakes I did.

Seeing me go through this (being on MYFICO for thousands and thousands of minutes over the past 2 months) has brought to their attention the world of credit reports and scores.  They see how tangibly this affects our family - ie., possibly not getting a house, etc.  I also point out to them that their grandfather has everything that he does because of how good his credit score is.  So they can see the difference.

You should have seen us dancing and clapping Saturday when we got a six point increase!! 

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 11 of 30
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

@llecs wrote:

Unfortunately a C&D won't stop them from selling the debt. They feel the debt is valid, but if it keeps getting sold over and over, sounds like they have little to run on especially if past CRTP and SOL. BTW, if both had expired, and I know it is tough to figure that out if nothing reports, then ignore the letters.

They obviously know they have little to go on--I received a dunning letter from the most recent CA less than a month after I sent the C&D to the previous CA.  Apparently, they couldn't wait to pass this hot potato to someone else.

My only worry is that if I ignore the letters, then I will suddenly get a surprise summons in the mail (or, worse yet, I will not receive the summons and miss the hearing).  I know I have a sure-fire defense with SOL (or possibly even ID theft if they claim this is within SOL), but it is still a hassle.

However, that is just me worrying about things I don't need to worry about I guess.  If no one has sued yet, I doubt anyone ever will--especially since every DV/C&D I have ever sent has resulted in an almost immediate selling of the debt to another CA.

Message 12 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@valley_man0505 wrote:

@llecs wrote:

Unfortunately a C&D won't stop them from selling the debt. They feel the debt is valid, but if it keeps getting sold over and over, sounds like they have little to run on especially if past CRTP and SOL. BTW, if both had expired, and I know it is tough to figure that out if nothing reports, then ignore the letters.

They obviously know they have little to go on--I received a dunning letter from the most recent CA less than a month after I sent the C&D to the previous CA.  Apparently, they couldn't wait to pass this hot potato to someone else.

My only worry is that if I ignore the letters, then I will suddenly get a surprise summons in the mail (or, worse yet, I will not receive the summons and miss the hearing).  I know I have a sure-fire defense with SOL (or possibly even ID theft if they claim this is within SOL), but it is still a hassle.

However, that is just me worrying about things I don't need to worry about I guess.  If no one has sued yet, I doubt anyone ever will--especially since every DV/C&D I have ever sent has resulted in an almost immediate selling of the debt to another CA.

I didn't catch which state you are in or the concept of the debt, but I would not count on much protection by claiming ID theft.  If you suspect ID theft, make your police report now.  Otherwise, if sued and the credit can convince the judge that your delay in filing a police report has hindered their ability to collect from the appropriate person the court can still enter a judgment against you.

Message 13 of 30
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

O6 wrote:

I didn't catch which state you are in or the concept of the debt, but I would not count on much protection by claiming ID theft.  If you suspect ID theft, make your police report now.  Otherwise, if sued and the credit can convince the judge that your delay in filing a police report has hindered their ability to collect from the appropriate person the court can still enter a judgment against you.

All I know is that the only new accounts I have opened since my "Great Credit Debacle of 2002" are all current.  If the debt they are trying to collect is actually mine, the DOLP would have to be in either 2003 or early 2004, which would put the debt well beyond SOL.  However, none of the CAs have EVER been able to supply ANY documentation on this debt and it has NEVER been on any of my reports.  Therefore, I don't even know how old they claim this debt is.  My assumption is that this is a debt that was created when I had my unintentional defaulting spree right after college in 2002 but this one never reported on my CR's for some reason.  If that is the case, it is past SOL.  I have no record of this debt, however--my old credit reports are the only record I have of what a debts I even had from back then, so I have no record of anything that didn't report (FYI...my report is now baddie-free aside from 2 of my ex-wife's medical collections).

If they claim that this is a debt that is still within SOL, there is not way that is possible without either: a) re-aging or b) ID theft.  Right now, I have no reason to suspect ID theft, but if some CA suddenly provides documentation that debt occured in 2007 or something like that, then I would have to look into that as an explanation.  In the meantime, I have to assume this from my 2002 defaulting-spree.

Message 14 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@valley_man0505 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

All I know is that the only new accounts I have opened since my "Great Credit Debacle of 2002" are all current.  If the debt they are trying to collect is actually mine, the DOLP would have to be in either 2003 or early 2004, which would put the debt well beyond SOL.  However, none of the CAs have EVER been able to supply ANY documentation on this debt and it has NEVER been on any of my reports.  Therefore, I don't even know how old they claim this debt is.  My assumption is that this is a debt that was created when I had my unintentional defaulting spree right after college in 2002 but this one never reported on my CR's for some reason.  If that is the case, it is past SOL.  I have no record of this debt, however--my old credit reports are the only record I have of what a debts I even had from back then, so I have no record of anything that didn't report (FYI...my report is now baddie-free aside from 2 of my ex-wife's medical collections).

If they claim that this is a debt that is still within SOL, there is not way that is possible without either: a) re-aging or b) ID theft.  Right now, I have no reason to suspect ID theft, but if some CA suddenly provides documentation that debt occured in 2007 or something like that, then I would have to look into that as an explanation.  In the meantime, I have to assume this from my 2002 defaulting-spree.

I'm not sure where you get DOLP from as that is totally irrelevant when it comes to determining the CRTP and, unless you are talking about tolling the SOL, the SOL as well.  With most consumer debt, the only date relevant for determining SOL is the date the creditor first had a cause of action against you.  Normally that is DOFD -- date of first delinquency.  Depending on the terms of your credit card agreement, that could be a a coupleof months or more after you made the last payment.  Or it could even be earlier.

Again, either you have failed to state which state you live in or I didn't find it when I glanced through the thread history.  There are at least 7 states where a debt from 2002 may still be inside of the SOL.  Please point me to where you stated which state you are in.   

Message 15 of 30
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@valley_man0505 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not sure where you get DOLP from as that is totally irrelevant when it comes to determining the CRTP and, unless you are talking about tolling the SOL, the SOL as well.  With most consumer debt, the only date relevant for determining SOL is the date the creditor first had a cause of action against you.  Normally that is DOFD -- date of first delinquency.  Depending on the terms of your credit card agreement, that could be a a coupleof months or more after you made the last payment.  Or it could even be earlier.

Again, either you have failed to state which state you live in or I didn't find it when I glanced through the thread history.  There are at least 7 states where a debt from 2002 may still be inside of the SOL.  Please point me to where you stated which state you are in.   

Unless something has changed, DOLP starts the clock for SOL (at least if it falls after DOFD).  DOFD starts the clock for CRTP.  I am in Wisconsin, where SOL = 6 years.

Message 16 of 30
Booner72
Senior Contributor

BUMP for MV

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 17 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@valley_man0505 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@valley_man0505 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Unless something has changed, DOLP starts the clock for SOL (at least if it falls after DOFD).  DOFD starts the clock for CRTP.  I am in Wisconsin, where SOL = 6 years.

Nothing has changed.  DOLP has never, in any state, triggered the SOL.  In every state the SOL commences to run when a cause of action accrues.  How a creditor can have a cause of action when you pay them is something few would understand.  

Wisconsin Statutes, Chapter 893:

893.04 Computation of period within which action may be commenced. Unless otherwise specifically prescribed by law, a period of limitation within which an action may be commenced is computed from the time that the cause of action accrues until the action is commenced.

Being that in Wisconsin subsequent payments on an already delinquent account -- unless said payments bring the account current and out of delinquency -- do not in and of themself toll the SOL, DOLP is irrelevant.  Always.

At least with credit card debt, the cause of action accrues in Wisconsin precisely when you default on your obligation by not paying the agreed amount at the agreed time.  Further payments that do not bring the account current do nothing to alter that much less establish a new cause of action.  In fact, depending on the contract, even bringing the account current after default may not eliminate the cause of action which began on the initial first default, though this is seldom seen in credit card contracts.

Even if you were to bring the account out of default by payment(s) which the creditor accepts, such payments in no way, shape or form affect the SOL  if -- and when -- a new cause of action accrues.  

Let me simplify this for you.  You get a statement from Citibank that you owe $1,000 on your credit card.  The statement date is January 1, 2011; due date is January 26, 2011.  The minimum amount due is $100.

1.  On or before 1/26 you pay $100 or more: No cause of action.

2.  On or before 1/26 you pay nothing or less than $100: Regardless of the date paid, cause of action accrues (and SOL starts running) on 1/27.  

No cause of action = No SOL     

Message 18 of 30
fot1
Established Contributor

Did you happen to buy a Dell computer? I ran into this.. unknown Citi Charge off.. and turns out Citi was the backer for Dell computers..

Too many to list..
Message 19 of 30
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Not to scare you, but I have a company that is still pursuing a "debt".   (I bought something in a store, in 1996.  I paid by check.  Three months later, the check had not been cashed.  I called the store and told them I had to close the bank account out, but would give them three weeks to cash the check before closing  the account out.  I called them again and they still insisted that they had cashed the check and I was nuts.  Ok, whatever.  Closed out the bank account - the check had not cleared  - so I sent them a letter, a copy of my receipt, and a new check.  They cashed the new check IMMEDIATELY!!  It was so fast, my head spun.  Next thing I know, I am in collections for that exact amount -- the amount of the original/replacement check.)

I have called repeatedly over the years, trying to explain things.  The owner of the store would never come to the phone and his employees didn't speak English as a first language.

For years, since 1996, I have been pursued by different CA's.  I send the CA a copy of the cashed check, the receipt, the letter, and dispute the debt as invalid.   They send it back to the company.   The company sends it to a different CA.  I follow the same procedure, adding the latest dispute letter to the pile.  Always sent things CMRR.

Here it is, 15 yrs later, and they are STILL sending it to CA's!!

I finally stopped sending all the documentation and letters CMRR.  It has cost a fortune to do it.

And the thing is, I don't owe any money.

Some companies/people do not give up.  Ever.

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.