Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can DV with CA work AFTER PIF to OC?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can DV with CA work AFTER PIF to OC?

Hi, I need some help with a really exhausting issue that I'm dealing with. Stellar Recovery was reporting a $65 collection from Comcast. There's a long story behind this but basically, I initially had no idea what it was for so I tried working through Comcast (yes, now I realize I probably should have started with a DV). I spoke to several reps at Comcast over the course of several weeks and initially nobody could find any amount due in the system at all. At one point, they even filed a ticket to ensure that any amounts being shown anywhere as past due be removed. After that call with Comcast, I reached out to Stellar and let them know that Comcast does not show any amount due and asked them to delete. I gave them the ticket number Comcast gave me and they agreed to follow up with Comcast and delete if it was not a valid debt. Well low and behold about a week later, it was updated/reposted on my CRs. I promptly got back on the phone with Comcast and finally found someone that dug deep enough and discovered they actually did have a $65 close out bill from 2011 when we moved out of state. I explained the entire situation to that Comcast rep (in the back office) and he was very sympathetic. He told me that if I paid the $65 to them, it would get removed from my credit report. I explicitly asked if they would ensure the collection agency would delete the collection entirely and not just update as paid. The rep confirmed so I paid. Unfortunately, the outcome was not what was as promised and it was indeed just updated as "Paid."

At this point, I am super frustrated. I had another call with Comcast and spelled out everything that had happened thus far and the fact that they did not live up to their end. This time, the rep told me that the other person I spoke to had no authority to tell me what he did and that they aren't able to control what the CA reports. After a bit more dialogue, he realized that I truly had been screwed. He put me on hold to talk to a supervisor than came back on the line and said I can go into a Comcast Service Center and pick up a letter I can use to send to the CRAs. I did just that and upon arrival, was told that they don't give letters at the service center. The rep got on the phone with someone in their billing who said only gave him the name and contact info of the collection agency (Stellar) whom they said would furnish me with a PIF letter.

ARGHHHH!!!! So in the end, Comcast is saying that this all needs to be handled through the CA, any letter would be from the CA, etc. I never even paid the CA. I really need to get this off my credit reports because it is the one thing holding us up from getting qualified for the home loan we are trying to get. Any advice on whether a DV would work now after the fact? I was also considering a GW letter to the CA but wasn't sure if that would be effective given I didn't pay them but paid the OC instead. 

Any advice would be really appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Can DV with CA work AFTER PIF to OC?

A total waste of time.

First, a DV places no restritions on a debt collector unless sent within 30 days fo dunning notice.

Second, even if timely, a DV imposes no period for or requirment to do anytihing other than cease further active collection on the debt.

With the debt paid, the debt collector is not and cannot continue any further attempts to collect on what is now a non-existent debt.

They will toss it in the trash.

Message 2 of 4
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, I need some help with a really exhausting issue that I'm dealing with. Stellar Recovery was reporting a $65 collection from Comcast. There's a long story behind this but basically, I initially had no idea what it was for so I tried working through Comcast (yes, now I realize I probably should have started with a DV). I spoke to several reps at Comcast over the course of several weeks and initially nobody could find any amount due in the system at all. At one point, they even filed a ticket to ensure that any amounts being shown anywhere as past due be removed. After that call with Comcast, I reached out to Stellar and let them know that Comcast does not show any amount due and asked them to delete. I gave them the ticket number Comcast gave me and they agreed to follow up with Comcast and delete if it was not a valid debt. Well low and behold about a week later, it was updated/reposted on my CRs. I promptly got back on the phone with Comcast and finally found someone that dug deep enough and discovered they actually did have a $65 close out bill from 2011 when we moved out of state. I explained the entire situation to that Comcast rep (in the back office) and he was very sympathetic. He told me that if I paid the $65 to them, it would get removed from my credit report. I explicitly asked if they would ensure the collection agency would delete the collection entirely and not just update as paid. The rep confirmed so I paid. Unfortunately, the outcome was not what was as promised and it was indeed just updated as "Paid."

At this point, I am super frustrated. I had another call with Comcast and spelled out everything that had happened thus far and the fact that they did not live up to their end. This time, the rep told me that the other person I spoke to had no authority to tell me what he did and that they aren't able to control what the CA reports. After a bit more dialogue, he realized that I truly had been screwed. He put me on hold to talk to a supervisor than came back on the line and said I can go into a Comcast Service Center and pick up a letter I can use to send to the CRAs. I did just that and upon arrival, was told that they don't give letters at the service center. The rep got on the phone with someone in their billing who said only gave him the name and contact info of the collection agency (Stellar) whom they said would furnish me with a PIF letter.

ARGHHHH!!!! So in the end, Comcast is saying that this all needs to be handled through the CA, any letter would be from the CA, etc. I never even paid the CA. I really need to get this off my credit reports because it is the one thing holding us up from getting qualified for the home loan we are trying to get. Any advice on whether a DV would work now after the fact? I was also considering a GW letter to the CA but wasn't sure if that would be effective given I didn't pay them but paid the OC instead. 

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Unfortunately, this is infamous with Comcast.  They often promise to remove, when they do not have the authority to do so.  Good will would be appropriate.  You have been given a ton of misinformation.  Unfortunately again, they only bring out the real work if you are a current customer.  BBB complaint might work here.  Even though you call EO, they are not REALLY EO.  If you keep extensive records, I have had removals from TU by calling a US rep, and telling them the date I was told, the name of the employee, and the date paid, for a Pfd.  This will not work with every agency.  So, start with BBB, then try state AG.  Maybe they will stop doing this, because they say that to everyone.  

In the interim, a paid collection will not stop you from getting a mortgage, if this is your only collection.  Visit the mortgage forum for more helpful info.  If you are applying though big banks (wells, chase, BOA, etc) there are much quicker and better lenders out there.  Big bank loans are seriously discouraged, unless you are going for jumbo.

Signature needs updating
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sending you a PM.  

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.