Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can GWing Hurt?

tag
teenastie
Established Contributor

Can GWing Hurt?

Quick question...

I have a paid utility bill that I would like to GW. The CA is currently on my EX and EQ CRs. It is set to turn 1 year old in February (EQ) and 1 year old in August (EX). In theory can the utility company see that my account is not currently on my TU CR and add it! If it would I would be devastated!!! Any input on this would be greatly appreciated Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Can GWing Hurt?

A GW letter is a personal communication between the creditor and the party it is sent to.  It is not reported to a CRA, and is not recorded in a consumer's credit file.

So, unless the debt collector contacts the OC for some reason, they OC wont see the GW itself.

Since your question was theoretical, the theoretical answer is yes, the OC can choose to report the account at any time, as long as what they report is accurate.

They could see the debt collector deletion of the collection, and choose to report their OC account activity.  Could.

That would beg the question, why would they do that?  Most likely, they wont.  They would simultaneously have to report that the account is closed, paid, and with $0 balance due.  It serves no further purpose in collection of a paid debt, and that is the primary reason most creditors report to the CRAs.  That is particularly true of utilities, who normally dont report at all until a derog arises. 

A theoretical concern, but it my opinion not a very likely occurance.

Message 2 of 5
teenastie
Established Contributor

Hmmmm...

I guess this issue needs further explanation. I spoke with a rep with the CA and they advised me that they have a policy not to remove anything from my credit reports for 7 years no matter the issue (unless it is a mistake on the OCs part). They told me to contact the OC and request a GW through them. If the OC agreed they would contact the CA and then they would remove. Should I send a GW letter to the Original Creditor? or the Collection Agency?

There is also an issue of overpayment. I overpaid the debt by about $1 and was told I would receive a refund. I paid through the OC and it took 90 days for the CA to receive the funds. Both stated I would receive a check in the mail. I could care less about the money owed (maybe I should report the unsatisfied payment to a CA so the utl can feel my pain Smiley Happy) but I'm not sure who I should contact regarding these two seperate matters.

Message 3 of 5
teenastie
Established Contributor

@teenastie wrote:

Hmmmm...

I guess this issue needs further explanation. I spoke with a rep with the CA and they advised me that they have a policy not to remove anything from my credit reports for 7 years no matter the issue (unless it is a mistake on the OCs part). They told me to contact the OC and request a GW through them. If the OC agreed they would contact the CA and then they would remove. Should I send a GW letter to the Original Creditor? or the Collection Agency?

Nevermind!

RoberEG wrote in another post:

A PFD offer is based on deletion of credit reporting.  If the OC has not reported to a CRA, there is nothing for them to agree to delete.  The OC cannot agree to delete any reporting done by a debt collector, and visa-versa.

PFDs are sent only to the party who reported information that you wish them to delete.

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Their statements to you are blatantly contradictory.

They wont delete for any reason, but if the OC calls them, they will delete?  Sounds like a brush-off to me.

A call from the OC really changes nothing, except for maybe wanting to please the hand that feeds them.  The OC has no authority to instruct a debt collector to delete their credit reporting. 

They are asking you to write a GW to the OC, and ask the OC to do your GW request for you?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.