cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I GW on my husbands behalf for a 30 day late?

tag
missmel

Can I GW on my husbands behalf for a 30 day late?

I recently have taken over all of our finances and have been helping my husband try and get the baddies of his CR. I thought I had a clear picture of EVERYTHING when I am looking over the CR and see an account listed in the current section for his CITI card that says 511 balance 500 limit. I was under the impression this card had no balance but when I get to the bottom of it, turns out he had not paid anything in several months and was over the limit. I paid a big chunk to bring the account current and have taken the card into my possession. I was informed though that likely a late had already been reported to the credit bueuos and sure enough one has just pop upped. 

I am devistated I had two old baddies removed now this new one pops up erasing a bunch of my hard work Smiley Sad I am wondering if I could GW Citi on his behalf and explain how I did not know about the account balance etc, as soon as I did I took the card over, made the account current and am paying it off myself. I dont know what he would do if he were to GW. I was able to negotiate the removal of the last late payment. He has no excuse but I stated the reason being a recent new job that not only pays less but also having to pay 500 a month out of pocket for our health insurance that we did not have to pay before. 

I need to get this removed but is it too early to GW since it JUST popped up this week? ANY feedback would be much appreciated. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Can I GW on my husbands behalf for a 30 day late?

A GW is a private request, and thus I see no reason why you could not send a request on his behalf.

If in a community property state, the creditor could come after you, and if you were to app for credit with him, his credit report would affect your credit.

Thus, I see definate basis for your involvement with his creditor.

Similarly, the FDCPA also defines a spouse of a creditor as also being the creditor for debt collection purposes.

I would give it a shot.

Kinda interesting to see how they will view a statement from the spouse of their customer that their customer is irresponsible......!

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.