Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I break 700?

tag
bigB12
Established Member

Can I break 700?

Pretty simple question, and I can probably answer my own question by saying this is based case by case.  But I was wondering if anyone has a 700+ score with a charged off account reporting? 

I have a charged off account that is reporting from 2011 and haven't gotten anywhere with Discover.

On a different note, I'd like to thank everyone for their help.  I've managed to raise my score from 592 TU to 685 TU in just over 2 months time.  I say 90+ points is a success!  I'd like to get over a 700, But not sure what steps to take to gain that 15 points. 

Will adding a mortgage to my CR bump my score up after some time?  I'm sure initially it will go down, but wondering if a mortgage has any more impact on your CR than adding a new CC?  I was pre-approved for a mortage with a mid-score of 636 2 months ago (592 TU was my low score), but wanted to clean up my reports to get a better rate, that's when my mission started.  I'll be applying for a mortgage in August with a now cleanER report.  Thanks again for all of your help!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Can I break 700?

@bigB12 wrote:

Pretty simple question, and I can probably answer my own question by saying this is based case by case.  But I was wondering if anyone has a 700+ score with a charged off account reporting? 

I have a charged off account that is reporting from 2011 and haven't gotten anywhere with Discover.

On a different note, I'd like to thank everyone for their help.  I've managed to raise my score from 592 TU to 685 TU in just over 2 months time.  I say 90+ points is a success!  I'd like to get over a 700, But not sure what steps to take to gain that 15 points. 

Will adding a mortgage to my CR bump my score up after some time?  I'm sure initially it will go down, but wondering if a mortgage has any more impact on your CR than adding a new CC?  I was pre-approved for a mortage with a mid-score of 636 2 months ago (592 TU was my low score), but wanted to clean up my reports to get a better rate, that's when my mission started.  I'll be applying for a mortgage in August with a now cleanER report.  Thanks again for all of your help!

Sure you can break 700 with a CO as the baddies age and good TL's gain history the CO has less of a scoring factor..

Case in point I had a old FED tax lien at one point and a CO and was in the 700's 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, as MJ has already stated as they age their impact is less and less on your score so you can have 700+ with COs.

Message 3 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

bigB12 wrote:

Will adding a mortgage to my CR bump my score up after some time?  I'm sure initially it will go down, but wondering if a mortgage has any more impact on your CR than adding a new CC?

Good question

Here's what goes into Fico scoring

FICO credit score chart

So adding any of the above categories if you don't have can certainly have a positive impact on scores 

However a new TL can equal +/- depending on other key factors of your CR's 

Some have seen a mortgage report and increase scores while others take a scoring hit 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 10
lavencedora
Frequent Contributor

I would say that the fact that while adding a mortgage could initially have either positive or NEGATIVE effect, it definitively will help you over time. A mortgage is rated as the highest quality of credit, followed by installment loans, then credit cards. It definitely is a big plus to get a mortgage in your mix. :-)

Starting Score: TU 490 on 11/2012
Current Score:6/16/15:EQ 714, EX 704, TU 702 (all from myFICO)
New Goal Score: 740+ for all three
Message 5 of 10
Lechte
Frequent Contributor

I'm on the verge of 700 right now, and that is with a high balance reporting in April...I have an old BK and a 2 year old CO on my report....so yeah, you can get there.

(EX08 - 654) --- (TU08 - 643) --- (EQ08 - 667) --- (EQ04 - 676)

Message 6 of 10
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I have a Chase account that was charged off in 2009.  I have asked Chase for Goodwill a few times and even recently got a letter back from EO stating that they "respectfully declined my request to remove the reporting".  Oh well.  I am not applying for a mortgage or anything, so it isn't really urgent for me to get it removed.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 7 of 10
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Yes, 686 here on EQ, with a major derog from 2011.  When this hits the three year mark, it may give another little bump.  Right now, it's all about utilization.  Recently got a 9pt bump for paying down 1%.

Message 8 of 10
bigB12
Established Member

Thanks for all of your notes.  I'll keep you all updated with how my mortgage app goes.

Message 9 of 10
Jimmyl66

I just pulled my credit reports on MyFico and I have a 713 experian credit score with Midland still reporting as a negative. Equifax is reporting 653 and Transunion 651. Only difference between all three is that experian dosnt show a current balance while the other two do. Hope this helps.
Scores as of 05.14.14

Experian: 713 Equifax: 653 TransUnion: 734
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.