cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I file my own Motion to Vacate a judgment?

tag
diabla
Regular Contributor

Can I file my own Motion to Vacate a judgment?

The lawyer charges $350, but I won't have to show up or do anything.  I'm pretty savvy with such things - I did my own disability and got it through quick and easy without any help.  I'm usually doing my own paperwork for everything, so I wonder if I shoudl tackle this myself and save the money?  It's a judgment that was slipped through during my BK in 2006 so it should have never been allowed to go through.  It was then discharged, so now its just a matter of asking, apparently.

Or is this something where I'd have better luck paying the lawyer?  Seems like an open/shut case, IMO.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Can I file my own Motion to Vacate a judgment?

I got my judgment vacated on my own. Go for it.
STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 18
diabla
Regular Contributor

Cool, thanks!  I didn't know if it was going to be a complicated experience and I was better leaving it up to lawyers.  But I'm going to go for it!

Message 3 of 18
igids1
Regular Contributor

I would leave it up to the lawyers if you really want it off. Many states have a 1-3 year statute for motion to vacate based on errors, which appears to be your reason. In my experience, the courts are far more lenient when the plaintiffs attorney is filing the motion
Message 4 of 18
yo-upacreek
Established Member

Hi Booner72.

I have 1 paid judgment I'd like to get vacated, how do you go about filing a motion to vacate without an attorney? Please PM me.

Message 5 of 18
rkb84
Contributor

I would like to know how to do this also. I have documents sent from the collection firm used by Cap one, titled 'release of judgment lean'. All official court documents showing it satisfied. Is this good enough to send with a letter to the CRA's to have it removed from my report? It just shows as satisfied now I want it gone.
Message 6 of 18
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@rkb84 wrote:
I would like to know how to do this also. I have documents sent from the collection firm used by Cap one, titled 'release of judgment lean'. All official court documents showing it satisfied. Is this good enough to send with a letter to the CRA's to have it removed from my report? It just shows as satisfied now I want it gone.

No, that will not be grounds for deletion of the judgement.  In order to get it removed, you must have it vacated through the court in which it was filed.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 18
rkb84
Contributor

Thanks, was hoping that wasn't the case. Any threads here with the specifics on the process? I would prefer not to have to pay an attorney but will. Weird thing is, I did dispute with all 3 a while back claiming it was satisfied and TransUnion actually deleted.
Message 8 of 18
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@rkb84 wrote:
Thanks, was hoping that wasn't the case. Any threads here with the specifics on the process? I would prefer not to have to pay an attorney but will. Weird thing is, I did dispute with all 3 a while back claiming it was satisfied and TransUnion actually deleted.

You will never find a specific thread, cause all states and even some counties have different processes for doing so.

You need to go to the courthouse where the case was drawn and speak to someone from the clerks office, they will gladly point you in the right direction... or, you can always consult a legal aid or attorney.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 9 of 18
Booner72
Senior Contributor

@yo-upacreek wrote:

Hi Booner72.

I have 1 paid judgment I'd like to get vacated, how do you go about filing a motion to vacate without an attorney? Please PM me.

Sorry, can't do that, but I can tell you to look up my post "I GOT MY JUDGMENT VACATED!!" and it will tell you all the gory details. 

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.