cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get an unsecured loan to consolidate credit card debt?

tag
UpmyscoreinFL
Frequent Contributor

Can I get an unsecured loan to consolidate credit card debt?

So I think I finally have about a 620 middle score. I have about 13,000 in credit card debt and a car loan in my name. Technically it's my husbands car so trying to get him to refinance it. So will a credit union or bank give me an unsecured loan for 13,000? Wouldn't that actually boost my scoe since I will not have ny credit card utilization and it will be an installment loan instead. I thought about trying this after I get the car loan out of my name. If I could just get a loan I kiwi would have my debt paid off in five years if I got on a fixed payment schedule with a decent interest rate. Am I dreaming?
Equifax my fico 629
Transunion my fico 669
Experian fako 663
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Can I get an unsecured loan to consolidate credit card debt?

@UpmyscoreinFL wrote:
So I think I finally have about a 620 middle score. I have about 13,000 in credit card debt and a car loan in my name. Technically it's my husbands car so trying to get him to refinance it. So will a credit union or bank give me an unsecured loan for 13,000? Wouldn't that actually boost my scoe since I will not have ny credit card utilization and it will be an installment loan instead. I thought about trying this after I get the car loan out of my name. If I could just get a loan I kiwi would have my debt paid off in five years if I got on a fixed payment schedule with a decent interest rate. Am I dreaming?

It's worth a shot to see what interest rates you could get ~ interest rates on personal, unsecured loans can be high sometimes, so you'll need to compare against your existing CC interest rates to see if it will work out.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You have an auto loan on a vehicle that is not in your name?  Hmmm.....

I think a bank would be interested in the car as collateral if you state that as the purpose of the loan.  If not in your name, that might be an issue.

Message 3 of 4
UpmyscoreinFL
Frequent Contributor

I wasn't very clear. The car is mine and the loan is mine but my husband drives the car. We are separating so I am trying to get him to refinance it into his name. We are trying to separate our finances and make sure we are both ok financially to co patent and support our kids.
Equifax my fico 629
Transunion my fico 669
Experian fako 663
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.