Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get old item delete after its been closed

tag
ZS1988
Established Member

Can I get old item delete after its been closed

Hi All,

So I was late over 120 days, and gone to collections. I worked out with Cap 1 collection and paid off in less. This was in 2010. Now its almost 2013, and I have a join CCard with them, and a secure card with them. I'm wondering if I can dispute the account and get it off my history??? Do I need a GW letter, or how do I do this?? This is hurting my credit the most, since I cannot seem to increase my point for the past 3 month.

Please let me know any suggestion would be great.

Thanks.

US Bank Platinum: $2000
Cap 1: $1500

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I get old item delete after its been closed

I've tried disputing with capital one on a few things.  Asked them to verify info, disputed, tried good will letters, courtesy removals, etc.  They don't do it.  I actually had somone from the presidents office call me to tell me it doesn't happen.  

They own HSBC credit cards now too, so same situation with them.  I've been trying to work them for a few years now with no luck.

Might just have to wait that one out.

Message 2 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Your best chance will be to send GW letters. 

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You dont dispute the account, you dispute the fact that your credit file still contains information that you consider inaccurate.  The dispute would be directed at requiring them to verify its accuracy, correct it to make it accurate, or delete it.  The account would remain.

Being closed is not the issue.  The issue is the continued inclusion in your credit report of information that you consider inaccurate.

Yes, you can dispute, provided you have basis for contesting its accuracy beyond just wanting it off.

If its accurate, the proper path is to request their good will by deleting on their own.

Message 4 of 5
beb86
Valued Contributor

@ZS1988 wrote:

Hi All,

So I was late over 120 days, and gone to collections. I worked out with Cap 1 collection and paid off in less. This was in 2010. Now its almost 2013, and I have a join CCard with them, and a secure card with them. I'm wondering if I can dispute the account and get it off my history??? Do I need a GW letter, or how do I do this?? This is hurting my credit the most, since I cannot seem to increase my point for the past 3 month.

Please let me know any suggestion would be great.

Thanks.

You can't dispute something that is true, I mean it was your debt and was CO'ed and settled...but you can ask for a GW deletion. Your score isn't going to take a big leap since these new TLs just started to repor...Just give it some time.. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.