cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get this old, paid collection deleted?

tag
JasonBourneOfCredit
Frequent Contributor

Can I get this old, paid collection deleted?

I paid National Credit Systems what they wanted a couple years ago and now on my credit reports it says "current closed." I had to pay it when I got my new car.

So its old, paid, and done.

Is there any way I can get that sucker removed totally? Would make me a happy guy.

thanks

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Can I get this old, paid collection deleted?

All you can do is send a good will letter to the CA.

CAs are not known for GW deletions.  Their whole business is based on consumer misery.  There is very little incentive for a CA to delete with a paid collection in their books.  And plus, it against their credit reporting guidelines to delete prior reporting based on payment of the debt.

Give it a try, but it is not a high probability.

Message 2 of 9
JasonBourneOfCredit
Frequent Contributor

Ok, where do I send the email or where do I mail a letter to?
Message 3 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Always send a GW to whomever is reporting...in this case the CA.
Message 4 of 9
JasonBourneOfCredit
Frequent Contributor

Email or USPS? I dont think their street address is listed on my credit report.
Message 5 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

JasonBourneOfCredit wrote:
Email or USPS? I dont think their street address is listed on my credit report.

Either/or or both. Doesn't matter. If mailed, just send with a stamp. For full account info, pull all 3 CRs directly from each CRA. Those have more info than 3rd-party providers like myFICO or TrueCredit. If all else fails, google. Also if your state requires CA licensing, then you can get the info from there too.
Message 6 of 9
JasonBourneOfCredit
Frequent Contributor

How about if I disputed it? Its old and paid and they may not have it on their records any more. Should I try or will that hurt me?

LLECS: what do you mean just send with a stamp? Do you mean I shouldnt use a return address?

Message Edited by JasonBourneOfCredit on 03-01-2010 07:29 PM
Message 7 of 9
JasonBourneOfCredit
Frequent Contributor

Here is my GW letter. Tell me what you think.

JasonBourneOfCredit

2934 Bourne Blvd

Bourneville, KYxxxxx

Dear Sir or Madam

This letter is in reference to a paid collection with the account number xxxxxx.

In 1/2006 a collection for the amount of $445.67 was sent to your agency due to a series of hardships and medical problems in my life. While I normally make great strives to honor my debts and fulfill my responsibilities, at the time of the debt I was unfortunately unable to. I have since gotten back on my feet and paid this debt to your agency.

I am now trying to buy a home, however I am having difficulties receiving an affordable rate due to having a collection on my account. I am kindly hoping, given the date and amount of this collection, if your collection agency would consider removing this collection from my credit reports as a gesture of goodwill. This kind gesture would sincerely be appreciated and an invaluable gift to my family and I. There is another name on the account as "Sarah Wrench." You can leave your information on that persons credit report if you'd like as she didn't contribute one cent to paying the collection.

Sincerely,

JasonBourneOfCredit

Message 8 of 9
leah5570
Frequent Contributor

I'll wait for some more comments, but I do like your "Sarah Wrench" comment. Unfortunately, from what I learned from my question previously regarding my husband and his ex-wifes joint car loan she messed up royally while he was deployed, if your information changes on your credit report regarding the collection account or other loan with lates or whatever, they will have to update everyone involved on that loan, or account.

Rest assured, if you are taking the time and effort to fix your report after a mistake, the odds of the other person who defaulted as well at doing the same are very low, so while it may benefit her briefly ( few points because it is older), it is still offset by her most likely recent mistakes.

EQ. Starting Score 08/19/12: 545
EQ. Current Score 09/02/13: 611
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

The effects of waking a sleeping giant...
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.