Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I goodwill credit inquiries away?

tag
gagirl82
Regular Contributor

Can I goodwill credit inquiries away?

Hi everyone!

So back in March my car died and I had to get another one.  In the process of getting a new car my credit got ran like a MILLION times without me knowing it.  While I did get a car loan and a pretty good rate, I also got lots and lots of inquires.  I specifically told the car sales men that I did not want my credit ran more than one time but without my knowledge they ran it anyway! I do recall reading on here that once you sign the authorization paperwork they have the right to do so.  I am trying to figure out how I can get the inquires removed before the two year period, because I would like to purchase a home next year...and im pretty sure all those inquiries will not go over well.  Do you guys think I can send out goodwill letters to have the inquires removed? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gizmotchy
Valued Member

Re: Can I goodwill credit inquiries away?

According to everything I've read on the FICO scoring model, lots of inquiries like this over a certain period of time are to be treated as a single inquiry, allowing you to shop for the best interest rate.  If all these inquiries were made within a 2-3 day time period, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Beginning Scores 5/10/2014: EX 604, EQ 587, TU 658 Current 11/9/2015: EQ 665 TU 665 (FAKO) EX 659 (FAKO)
Message 2 of 4
xaiduz114
Regular Contributor

+1

I've heard the same about mortgages, too, since people often shop around for the best rates. You could definitely try GWing them, though. I don't see any harm in it. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ 478 | EX N/A | TU 540 - 5/2014
Current Score: EQ 475 | EX 582 | TU 589
Goal Score: 700 by 5/2015 - My Credit Rebuilding Journey!
Collections (MED): DCS Financial (4) | Columbia Collectors (1) |
Dynamic Collectors, Inc (2) | Professional Credit Services (2) |
CMRE Financial Services (1) | Total: 10
Charge-offs: IQCU (1)
Cards I'm aiming to get:
Unitus Community CU SecuredBofA Secured
Message 3 of 4
myjourney
Super Contributor

As long as the INQ's are coded correctly in home or auto shopping within a certain time frame it's considered as one .

However sometimes they're not coded right and only under manual review would it be noticed by a analyst or underwriter 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.