cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I have the original Verizon account status changed after paying collection agency?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I have the original Verizon account status changed after paying collection agency?

Hello folks!

I've got a question about an item on my credit report. My credit report (correctly) shows a derogatory account with Verizon. The Payment status on my credit report shows "Collection/Charge-Off" and the account status shows "Closed - Derogatory."

Earlier this week I recieved a collection letter from Chase Receivables attempting to collect this debt on behalf of Verizon, showing the same amount ($390) with various options (option 1: pay by 3/31 for 45% off total debt - $214.61 // option 2: pay by 4/15 for 25% off total debt - $292.65, etc.)

If I have the funds available to pay the debt at 45%, should I just go ahead and do it? If so, can I petition to have the original Verizon account status changed?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Can I have the original Verizon account status changed after paying collection agency?

It depends upon what "original status" you are referring to.

Account reporting reflects the status of numerous things.  Some are historical, some are not.

The Current Status is, for example, only a snapshot of the account status as of the last ("current") time of reporting.

It can be either a derogatory or non-derogatory status.

An account, whiile delinquent, has a Current Status at some level of delinquency, such as 30/60/90/120/150+ days late, or charged-off.

However, once paid or returned to pays as agreed status, the Current Status will no longer be once or delinquency, but can reference the status just prior, such as "Paid, was 120 late."  That is required, and thus you do not have to make a request for voluntary update of the Current Status.

Once the Current Status is returned to one or non-delinquency, the prior status, called the Payment Rating, retains the delinquency status that existed prior to its new Current Status.  Each derog is also retaned by its date under the Payment History Profile.  All of those current and prior status reportings collectively are still available.

It does not matter whether you make payment directly to the creditor or through their assigned debt collector.  The reporting of each party untimately ends up the same....current status updated by the OC as well as the debt balance of $0, and the collection updated to closed, paid,, $0 balance.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I have the original Verizon account status changed after paying collection agency?

Thanks - I called today and paid off the debt. I requested a letter stating that the debt was paid as requested, and I'll keep an eye on my credit report. Hopefully this will give my scores a bit of a bump; I'd like to buy a house in the next 2-3 years so I'm slowly trying to repair the damage I've done over the past couple years.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.