cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I include my wife's income when requesting a CLI with Capital One?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I include my wife's income when requesting a CLI with Capital One?

Can I include my wife's income when requesting a CLI with Capital One? It's not a joint account but she has equal access to it.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I include my wife's income when requesting a CLI with Capital One?

I have started including my fiance's income because I believe the wording in some of their apps/services is "if that money or person is helping you pay the balance(s)" and sometimes I make larger purchases for him? So I said why not. I literally JUST updated mine though so we'll see if and what changes it causes?
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I included my bf's income on my apps and mine on his. When it comes to bills we just pay together no matter what and they do say if the household income is used to pay bills together then you can.
Message 3 of 7
elim
Senior Contributor

gray area...  most say if you file joint returns you're golden.

Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It is clearly permissible.

The CFPB enacted federal rulemaking, now published at 12 CFR 1026, that became effective in 2013, and explicitly permits consumers who apply for credit cards or increases in credit limits who are over age 21 to list whatever income they have “reasonable expectation of access” to on their credit card application or in their request for a CLI, including a spouse’s income.

Prior to that date, the Fed issued regs instructing banks to consider only the income of the named applicant in evaluating credit card applications.

The new CFPB reg explicity changed that.  It is not limted to a spouse.  It can be any person with whom you share your assets.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

yup my wife and i put both our incomes on all apps and info related to our credit.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been wondering the same, but never got a chance to ask others on this forum. I think I will include my husband's income with mine. Our income together exceeds $100K, so that would help our chances at approval. Thanks!  

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.