Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I join NFCU?

tag
BeMerry
Established Member

Can I join NFCU?

hi everyone,

I am in the rebuilding process but would love to get a secured card with them. Can I join them? My spouse is a US veteran (served 4 years and left to attend school). I am just asking because I already called them and the girl didn't help much Smiley Wink

If someone could help that would be great!

p.s.: my spouse got a car loan through them a few years ago but I can't recall if he kept an open account with them.

Starting Score: 533
Current Score: 576
Goal Score: 650

Gardening Since 04.19.14
Capital One Secured $200 | VS $250 | JCREW $250 | MACU Secured $300

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
buildafico
Frequent Contributor

Re: Can I join NFCU?

i would call and ask someone else who's more helpful. the website doesn't really say much about veterans is he still getting payment from his service?

some textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome text>some text
Message 2 of 8
BeMerry
Established Member

@buildafico wrote:

i would call and ask someone else who's more helpful. the website doesn't really say much about veterans is he still getting payment from his service?

No, he graduated last year. Only payment is disability. I should call again, she must have been new or just missunderstood me Smiley Happy. Thanks! 

P.s.: I need to improve my credit score soon because in 2 years, we'll apply for a home loan. His credit score is 720+ with no debits and only 2 credit cards which he doesn't worry with all the 9% or less balance reporting. Go figure, I am struggling to increase 50 points lol

Gardening Since 04.19.14

Message 3 of 8
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@BeMerry wrote:

@buildafico wrote:

No, he graduated last year. Only payment is disability. I should call again, she must have been new or just missunderstood me Smiley Happy. Thanks! 

P.s.: I need to improve my credit score soon because in 2 years, we'll apply for a home loan. His credit score is 720+ with no debits and only 2 credit cards which he doesn't worry with all the 9% or less balance reporting. Go figure, I am struggling to increase 50 points lol

I do not believe he is able to join. When I joined, the only way to get membership was to be currently serving or a contractor/DOD civilian working on a military installation or deployed to a 'combat' zone.

Message 4 of 8
buildafico
Frequent Contributor

definitley call again, im thinking they might say no, but you never know, NFCU is amazing with CL's. You might consdier having him add you as an authorized user to his cards if they're all positive. two years is plenty of time to get your report looking pretty, do you have positive tradelines now?

some textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome text>some text
Message 5 of 8
BeMerry
Established Member

@buildafico wrote:

definitley call again, im thinking they might say no, but you never know, NFCU is amazing with CL's. You might consdier having him add you as an authorized user to his cards if they're all positive. two years is plenty of time to get your report looking pretty, do you have positive tradelines now?

thanks, I've 2 positive tradelines (capital one secured and Victoria's secrets). Paying off 6 baddies. Should have just 1 to pay off by october. We just got a new car loan with our local credit union but used only his credit score and they gave us the lowest apr 2.4%; my name on the loan would increase the loan to 13%  lol. 

At this point, 2.4% was the best due to the other debts that we're trying to pay ASAP. We needed the car And bought a reliable 2012 used honda. 

Gardening Since 04.19.14

Message 6 of 8
BeMerry
Established Member

@azguy13 wrote:

@BeMerry wrote:

@buildafico wrote:

I do not believe he is able to join. When I joined, the only way to get membership was to be currently serving or a contractor/DOD civilian working on a military installation or deployed to a 'combat' zone.

Thanks for the info! Smiley Happy

Gardening Since 04.19.14

Message 7 of 8
Mddlrthr2
Established Member

Have you gone to the link for "Am I Eligible?"  It will ask you a series of questions and if you are eligible it will let you join.

https://www.navyfederal.org/how-to-become-a-member/how-to-become-a-member.php

Good luck!

Starting Score: 570
Current Score: 735 EX, 723 EQ,
Goal Score: 725

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.