cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I keep a collection from reporting?

tag
penelopeliam

Can I keep a collection from reporting?

On 7/19 I pulled annual free Experian report, everything was fine, I have never had any delinquent/late/negative accounts or records

On 7/23 received collection notice from equalizeRCM services, dated 7/17, for a $29 bill from 2008, from my current doctor's office

What steps do I need to take to keep this off of my credit reports, and keep it from negatively affecting FICO?

I already own a home, but am planning on taking out private student loans starting in June of 2013 and don't want a score drop.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Re: Can I keep a collection from reporting?

wow a 29 dollar bill. such scavengers lol. anyways tell them you will take care of this debt right now with an agreement they wont report. some ca's just dont report or thats what ive been told. the last 2 bills i took care of told me they dont report that they just wanted thier money so ymmv

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 2 of 3
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: Can I keep a collection from reporting?

@rootpooty wrote:

wow a 29 dollar bill. such scavengers lol. anyways tell them you will take care of this debt right now with an agreement they wont report. some ca's just dont report or thats what ive been told. the last 2 bills i took care of told me they dont report that they just wanted thier money so ymmv

Tmobile sent me to collections for $5 back in 1998, while I was deployed to Kuwait.

Thankfully when I called the CA, the girl I spoke to laughed at the CO, took my payment (PAID WAY MORE THAN $5 to place the call), and laughed at the collection.  Never saw a negative TL from them.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.