Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I pay OC

tag
gtnitright
Regular Contributor

Can I pay OC

I have a CO on myfico report showing I owe $510.00. I don't need to VAlidate because I know it belongs to me. My question is, it shows as a charger off. When I contacted the OC they said they don't handle tbe charge off but my credit report still shows the OCs address. What will happen if I just mail the payment directly to tbe OC?
Starting Score : EQ 635. TU 632 EX 635
Goal Score: 700. br >
.Nordstrom $800 Loft/$800 Cap 1/$3900 Amex BCE $9000br >
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can I pay OC

@gtnitright wrote:
I have a CO on myfico report showing I owe $510.00. I don't need to VAlidate because I know it belongs to me. My question is, it shows as a charger off. When I contacted the OC they said they don't handle tbe charge off but my credit report still shows the OCs address. What will happen if I just mail the payment directly to tbe OC?

They most likely will accept the payment... If there is no reporting CA then you have no choice but to pay the OC if that is what you want to do. How old is this CO?? If its about to be excluded I would not make any payments until its off your CRs.

Message 2 of 5
polno1234
Contributor

if its charged off and they said they dont deal with those it is likely sold to a ca.paying the oc will do nothing and the ca can still collect. either call the oc and figure out who it was sold to and go from there or kick back and wait till the ca reports it. if mission is clean report then start gw the oc now.

Current MERRICK SECURED-$200 EMBLEM MC-$250 EXPRESS NEXT-$350
In the garden till 10/9/14
Fico 8 start 02/15/13 488
Current TU Fico 8 641, EX 734 EQ 740
Goal 650 by 02/15/15
Message 3 of 5
gtnitright
Regular Contributor

The original creditor is listed on my report with their address and phone number but I recently received a settlement letter from a collection agency. I just wonder if the original creditor will accept the payment.
Starting Score : EQ 635. TU 632 EX 635
Goal Score: 700. br >
.Nordstrom $800 Loft/$800 Cap 1/$3900 Amex BCE $9000br >
Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The debt collector could be either an assigned agent of the OC, with the OC still owning the debt, or they could have sold it.

Two things should have happened that would inform you as to whether the OC still owns the debt, and thus whether they can accept payment.

First, since the OC has reported, they have a requirement to promptly update their reporting so as to maintain its current accuracy.

If they sold the debt, they were required to have promptly updated their reporting to show a current balance of $0.

Unfortunately, absence of that required update does not establish that they still own it, as they could simply be late in making that reporting.

Second,and more definatively, when the debt collector made any initial communication with you, they were requried to send formal dunning notice within 5 days thereafter.

Part of dunning notice requirement is to identify the current owner of the debt.  Did they send dunning notice, and if so, who was identified as the owner of the debt?

I would check those two items.... has the OC reported $0 balance, and who was idenfied in the dunning notice as the current owner of the debt.

OR........ you might reconsider the benefit of paying the debt collector rather than the OC.

If you pay the debt collector, you could do so via a modified form of PFD, getting their agreement not to report their collection in exchange for payment of the debt.

That might avoid their reporting of their collection.

Paying the OC would, in my opinion, only be advantageous if made in the form of a PFD to them, attempting to get deletion of their reported charge-off.

That may take some time, and they may decline a PFD, and the debt collector may have then reported their collection.

Paying the OC may not be the best route.

Why do you want to pay thru them?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.