Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I write this on a DV letter?

tag
improvent363
New Contributor

Can I write this on a DV letter?

I have a debt collection on my CR two months ago which I just paid directly to the company I owed the debt to [which is ebay, since I did know I owned it]. But I still want to do DV to my CA [which is EOS-CCA] so the collection can be erased from my CR. So, on the DV, is it safe to mention and write something like "I have already paid for this debt, so please remove this from my Credit report" as I paid directly to ebay company? I just want the collection report erased from my CR, that is all!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
George888
New Contributor

Re: Can I write this on a DV letter?

@improvent363 wrote:

I have a debt collection on my CR two months ago which I just paid directly to the company I owed the debt to [which is ebay, since I did know I owned it]. But I still want to do DV to my CA [which is EOS-CCA] so the collection can be erased from my CR. So, on the DV, is it safe to mention and write something like "I have already paid for this debt, so please remove this from my Credit report" as I paid directly to ebay company? I just want the collection report erased from my CR, that is all!

I'm new to credit repair but in my short experience I can tell you that if you already paid the debt, then it is too late to do a DV.  A DV is used to ask the CA to validate the debt while they are actively trying to collect, and before you pay.  And if the CA cannot validate the debt, then you can have the credit bureaus delete the CA's trade line from your credit reports using the fact that the CA was not able to validate the debt..  

What you can do now, after paying the debt, I BELIEVE, is to send a GW (good will letter) to the CA asking them to delete the trade line from your credit reports.  You might find a few GW letter templates on this forum that you can use.

Hopefully somebody with more knowledge will chime in and give you more experienced, and credible advice..

Message 2 of 8
improvent363
New Contributor

Is what George888 talking about being  "too late to do a DV" true, even though I paid directly to ebay? So, can the CA already know that I paid directly to ebay in some way?

Message 3 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@improvent363 wrote:

Is what George888 talking about being  "too late to do a DV" true, even though I paid directly to ebay? So, can the CA already know that I paid directly to ebay in some way?

Yes it's true. Once you have paid there is nothing to validate. All you can do now is try GW letters to have the negative item(s) removed.

And the OC will contact the CA and let them know it's been paid.

Message 4 of 8
George888
New Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@improvent363 wrote:

Yes it's true. Once you have paid there is nothing to validate. All you can do now is try GW letters to have the negative item(s) removed.

And the OC will contact the CA and let them know it's been paid.  

Something similar happened to me.  I paid the original creditor for a debt that I had.  And the CA was really upset that I did that because they said the OC was not supposed to have taken my money, and that I was supposed to deal with the CA directly.  But this was something I wasn't able to avoid because the courts were involved, and I had to pay the courts, and the courts paid the OC.  

Anyway, after the OC was fully paid off, I contacted the CA to see if they would delete their trade line from my credit report.  They said that I still owed them (the CA) interest on the debt.  And if I paid them the entire interest that had accumulated, then they would delete the trade line from my credit report.  This happened about a month and a half ago.  With my credit reporting service, I can pull a new credit report every month.  The last time I checked it, the CA had brought the balance of the account down to zero, but they had not deleted it yet.  I am waiting for the next time i can pull the report to see if it will indeed be gone as the CA promised.

Perhaps your experience with your CA will be similar to mine.  Although, I would wait to hear from other more knowledgeable people one the subject.

Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Failure to validate a debt is NOT grounds for deletion from your CR.  Period.  It is fruitless to request the CRA to delete based on failure of a debt collector to have provided verification.  Debt verification is a debt collection practices matter under the FDCPA, and failure to have provided verification is addressed, provided the DV request was timely, by imposing a cease collection bar on the debt collector, not by requiring CR deletion.  The FDCPA imposes no requirement or period for mandatory debt verification.

Once paid, there is no more debt.  Once notified by the OC that the debt was satisfied, the debt collector must update the debt still under collection to $0.

Debt verification from the debt collector at that point would simply state "We verify that the debt is $0."

Hardly worth the price of a stamp to send a DV.

Message 6 of 8
improvent363
New Contributor

So RobertEG, what do you suggest I do next in order to delete the credit line: send a PFD or GW Letter?

Message 7 of 8
George888
New Contributor

@improvent363 wrote:

So RobertEG, what do you suggest I do next in order to delete the credit line: send a PFD or GW Letter?

My two cents:  It is too late to send a PFD (pay for delete) because you alreayd paid.  Here is the way I understand it:

• A DV (debt validation letter) is used to to ask the CA to validate the debt.  You do this before you pay.
  • A PFD (pay for delete letter) is used to attempt to make an arrangement with the CA, in which you tell the CA that you will pay as long as they delete the credit report trade line 
  • A GW (good will letter) is used after you pay.  In it you ask the CA or OC for their good will.  I believe that you ask them in a nice way to please delete the trade line since you already paid the debt.

RobertEG is very knowledgeable.  He will be able to give you good advice.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.