cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can T-Mobile Put Successfully Disputed CA Back on my CR?

tag
NYSuperdoodle
New Contributor

Can T-Mobile Put Successfully Disputed CA Back on my CR?

I disputed a T-Mobile collections account for $1000+ dollars a few weeks ago and just the other day contacted the Executive Services group. I'd also contacted the colletions agency, and the guy said they would delete it from my CR while it was being disputed with them. Yesterday I noticed it was off EX (now 698)  and EQ (now 714), but still on TU  (now 579!) . SO obviously this CA is having a huge impact on my score. Last night I disputed it with TU as well, and I suspect it will get deleted there as well. 

Today I was contacted by T-Mobile's executive services person, who said that I still owe the $1000+. In my conversation with the CA, they said they would settle for $400, but would leave it on my CR. the T-Mobile lady said I could pay them off by the end of June, and she would request that the account stay with them and not go back to collections and that the CA not report it to the CR. But of course she wants the full $1000. 

What do I do here? I probably do owe them a few hundred.. but a THOUSAND dollars? However, I cannot take the hit on my CR. But then she offered me no ironclad guarantees, either. On top of that, it's been deleted everywhere but TU, who I expect will follow suit in the next couple weeks. Can deleted collection accounts be put back on again? I'd really appreciate some advice from someone knowledgable in this area.

I've really been working hard at getting my scores up. A few weeks ago I was at mid-500's across the board, and I will need to buy a new home soon due to divorce, so this is really important to handle properly. What's the best strategy here? Much appreciated. 

April 1 2014 EQ-555 TU-545 EX- 545
April 29 2014 EQ -714 TU-579 EX- 698
May 1 2014 EQ 721, TU 707, EX 698
All tracked with USAA credit monitoring via Expedia
FICO Score June 10 2014 EQ 719
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
polno1234
Contributor

Re: Can T-Mobile Put Successfully Disputed CA Back on my CR?

definatley the can reinsert the item back on your cr. what was the basis of your dispute?

Current MERRICK SECURED-$200 EMBLEM MC-$250 EXPRESS NEXT-$350
In the garden till 10/9/14
Fico 8 start 02/15/13 488
Current TU Fico 8 641, EX 734 EQ 740
Goal 650 by 02/15/15
Message 2 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Credit report deletion based on the outcome of a dispute only relates to information that was disputed as inaccurate.

What was disputed, the debt itself, or some other item, such as the balance?

Did the Notice of Results of Reinvestigatin provided by the CRA, which is the formal notice of outcome of the dispute, state that they deleted based on lack of verification of accuracy of the dispute information?

Deletion based on lack of verification of accuracy of the disputed information is not absolute.

The disputed information remains unverified, and can be reinserted if the lacking verifcation is provided at a later time.

If any party requests reinsertion of information that was deleted based on lack of verification in a prior dispute, the party must include with their reporting a certification of accuracy of the information.  The CRA can immediately reinsert the information, but must send you formal notice of their reinsertion within 5 business days.

You will thus be aware, if the information is reinserted, that the party followed the required process.

Message 3 of 10
NYSuperdoodle
New Contributor

Thanks for the replies. 

1. The basis of the dispute was that I was told that there would be no early contract termination fee as there was no service whatsoever where I had moved, and there was no communication from T-Mobile or any collectors on this debt for almost 4 years until I ran my own credit report and saw it hanging there like a cement block on my credit rating.

2. The Experian dispute results only say "deleted" with no other information as to why it was deleted.

If it can be reinstated, perhaps I would be better off to deal with T-Mobile directly, as they have offered, even though they aren't settling for a lower figure like the collection agency was. Maybe that would keep them from being able to have it put back on my CR. The T-Mobile executive services rep with whom I spoke said they do not report to Credit Agencies, but she said they would notify the collectionagency and request it not be put on my CR if paid in full. 

Definitely worth it IMO if I can avoid having it hit my CR again. 

Any advice?

Message 4 of 10
polno1234
Contributor

told and signed contract on are 2 different things unless you have the recorded conversation to back it up. if tmobile is willing to pull it back from ca and delete their tl aswell, i would say to go that route. if you wish to escalate the dispute i would contact the bbb as what they stated then did would be a bad business tactic not a breach of contract unless it was stated as such in the contract you signed with tmobile.

Current MERRICK SECURED-$200 EMBLEM MC-$250 EXPRESS NEXT-$350
In the garden till 10/9/14
Fico 8 start 02/15/13 488
Current TU Fico 8 641, EX 734 EQ 740
Goal 650 by 02/15/15
Message 5 of 10
NYSuperdoodle
New Contributor

I talked to the CA before I called T-Mobile, and I had already disputed it with EX and EQ. It was deleted from EX and EQ, and showed up on TU, where I disputed it just yesterday. Then I got the call from T-Mobile today after an email I sent right before I saw it was deleted from EX and EQ lol. 

I fear that I may have instigated a thorough investigation of something that otherwise may have just gone away. But now that it's back in the hands of T-Mobile, maybe the best route would be to wait a few days and see if it gets deleted from TU, then if it does pay T-Mobile and try to get them to agree in writing not to update the CA of the status. I wonder if that would be possible?

Message 6 of 10
NYSuperdoodle
New Contributor

Also, once it;'s been deleted, can it be put back on? And if I pay the debt WHILE the collection account is deleted, can they put it back on as a collection account that was paid? Is that even possible?

Message 7 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, a paid debt can be posted to your CR.  Even though it is now satisfied, it was once in arrears and it can be posted to your CR in that manner.  Most often, they will not post, because it takes time and money.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

While they can report the fact that they had collection authority on the debt after the debt has been paid, they would have to simultaneously report the collection as both closed and with $0 balance under collection.  Kinda unnecessary reporting.

Most debt collectors use credit reporting as a means to pressure the consumer to pay the debt.

Reporting after the fact, while legally permissible, serves no business purpose on their part, and could lead to additional time and effort in having to deal with likely disputes that would come about based on that reporting.

Message 9 of 10
NYSuperdoodle
New Contributor

Thanks for the responses. Now I just have to figure out if it makes sense to contact tmobile again given that the collection has been removed from EQ and EX by way of dispute and is currently under dispute with TU.

I'm kind of kicking myself for contacting them in the first place, but I've been blitzkrieging my CRs the last couple of weeks with such good results. Up 100+ points, I guess having one backfire isn't the end of the world.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.